Chapter 4

Chase rolled over and looked down at Mel sound asleep next to him. God she was beautiful, he thought to himself. He ran his hand along her smooth, bare thigh. "Mmmm." She murmured, still half asleep. He placed a soft kiss on the back of her neck. She rolled over slowly, her eyes opened and he found himself drowning in the deep blue pools. "I was getting lonely and bored." He grinned at her. She smiled back at him and ran her fingers through his dark, wavy hair, pulling his head closer to her. "We can't have that." She murmured, as her lips met his. They kissed for several minutes, the kisses becoming more heated. His hand slipped between her legs and he felt her wetness. "You're always ready for me aren't you." She nodded. "Always." He reached for a condom in the nightstand drawer. He quickly opened it and rolled it onto his swollen, already leaking cock. She stirred things in him that no woman ever had. He hovered over her for just a moment, taking in her features, her beautiful face. She shifted slightly beneath him, probably a show of impatience. He captured her lips with his and slid smoothly into her. "Oh Chase, you feel so fucking good inside of me." She moaned, wrapping her legs around his hips, driving him deeper into her.

"BEEEEEEP" The blaring sound of his alarm clock snapped him awake, out of his dream. His memory. Just as he was getting to the good part.

He groaned, realizing he was covered in sweat and sporting a full boner. "Fuck." He muttered to himself, as he rolled out of bed.

This was becoming a regular thing with him.

For the last week, since Mel had closed the door in his face, he had been plagued with dreams, flashbacks of her. The one he just had was of the last time they were together, when he had begun to realize his feelings for her went deeper than just weekend hook ups.

He needed to get her out of his head. She made it clear she didn't want him, that what they had in the past was over. So why couldn't he let her go?

After that weekend, she shut him out of her life, avoided him.

It wasn't until a few weeks after that they had talked, and it was only because Ryan had been in a pretty big crash. He had been knocked out and was taken to the hospital. Mel had expressed concern for him after realizing he was also involved in the crash. For a brief moment, he swore he saw the old Mel, but then it was gone. They were both there to try to comfort Jordyn, who was understandably shaken.

After they received word that Ryan was okay, they talked a little. She told him whatever they had was over. No explanation or anything, just over. They would see each other on weekends because of work, she still had a job to do, but that would be the extent of their relationship.

He had hope during the months leading up to Ryan and Jordyn's wedding. They had spent a lot of time together. They had become closer, shared a lot of laughs. Had fun together.

Something bad had happened to her. The light in her eyes was gone, replaced by a profound sadness. He sensed fear as well.

He had a feeling in the pit of his stomach that he didn't want to even think about.

Just get over her man. He told himself. He had been calling her and texting her all week and she had not responded. Time to let her go.

He pulled out his phone and went to his contacts. His finger hovered over a name. They say the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. He hit the button.

*******************************************

"Well Chase, I'm here. I was a bit surprised to hear from you. So what did you want to talk to me about."

Chase looked at the pretty blonde standing on his doorstep. He took her arm and pulled her to him and placed a kiss on her cheek. "Thanks for coming Kaylie. It's really good to see you."

He led her to the living room and they both had a seat. "You look really good Kaylie." He said to her.

Her expression was unreadable. "I wish I could say the same for you Chase."

Ouch. Yeah. He knew he looked like shit. It was obvious he had not been sleeping.

"So what do you want Chase?" She raised one perfectly arched eyebrow.

"I want to get back together." He replied, choking back the bitter taste those words brought to his mouth.

Later

Chase detangled himself from Kaylie's arms and carefully slipped out of bed, trying not to wake her.

He hated himself right now.

He shouldn't feel guilty for using Kaylie because God knows she sure used him often enough.

The thing was, he did feel guilty.

This was not who his parents raised. The whole time he was having sex with Kaylie, all he thought about was Mel. Sleeping with Kaylie had done absolutely nothing to drive Mel out of his head, it only fueled his desire for her.

"Chaaase. What are you doing? Come baaack to bed." Kaylie's whining was irritating his nerves. For the millionth time he wondered why he had brought her back into his life. They had done this over and over for the last three years. Their relationship was clearly toxic. There was no other word to describe it. All they did was fight. She was jealous of his friends and the time he spent with them. She would cheat on him. They would break up for a while, but they always ended up together. He didn't love her. Hell, he wasn't even sure he even liked her anymore. She was a distraction. A warm body. A means to hopefully rid his mind of the one he really loved. Wait...love? Seriously?

Yes, it was true. He was in love with Mel.