Chapter 20

'Do you intend to lock me up again?'

The duchess looked at Herta pensively.

'It wouldn't be a good idea, would it? I mean, it wouldn't make much sense now.'

The young girl felt relieved. Even if there was any chance of being rescued, it was not certain. And she couldn't bear the thought of spending another night trapped, now that she had been so near freedom.

The aristocrat, for her part, felt increasingly comfortable with her. She didn't dislike her company as she did other people's. Although the girl rarely smiled at her, and only out of politeness, she felt that she could trust her, even while holding her captive.

'Then, what are you going to do with me?'

'Well...' She gestured for her to sit on the bed, while she took the armchair. 'I wonder if you would like to stay with us. I've seen how well you and my son get along. It almost seems as if you've been able to draw him to you with no need for strategies. So, you must be very skillful... or extremely lucky.'

'I'm afraid neither of those options is the answer,' Herta said as serious and calm as usual. 'I believe your son has seen it coming, if I may use that expression.'

The corners of the duchess's mouth rose a little. She couldn't help but admire her honest intelligence, which could almost be seen as bravery.

'And what are your feelings?'

'My feelings? I didn't know I was allowed to feel anything at all.'

Now Wilhelmina decided that the girl was crossing the line.

'Mind your words, girl.'

'Yes. I'm sorry. Please, accept my apologies.'

'I most certainly do not accept them,' said the lady, recovering her usual energy, with which she felt more at ease. 'However, I'll let you try to compensate me for this.'

The moment the duchess's eyes had become so wide, after her insolent remark, Herta's heart had stopped beating, expecting to be punished with some kind of spell. It started beating again when she heard that the duchess was going to ask her to do something.

'Now I want you to make his brother Adalberht fall in love with you.'

'What?' She knew she was putting herself in danger again with that reaction (making the duchess angry could never be a good idea), but she felt so offended by her words. Even more than by the degrading treatment she received at home. 'I don't know what kind of agreement you've reached with your sister about me; but if you think I'm just merchandise you can use as you like, you're wrong.'

'That's exactly what you are. Or do you really think you could be anything else? Even if I let you get married with my son, you wouldn't be as free as you seem to think you are entitled to be. To have that kind of freedom you must work hard, suffer, fight... But, most of all, you must deserve it. You should already know that you are on an infinitely lower level than a lot of people. And you are certainly very far from being able to talk to me the way you are now. I liked you. But you're too tiresome.'

Once again, she spread her powerful eyes in an elegant, determined and natural way towards her. But this second fruitless time, she realized what she hadn't realized before.

'What have Flora and you done? How long have you known each other?'

Herta didn't know what to answer. She didn't feel like making the effort of inventing lies for a person she despised so much.

'Answer me!'

Herta stood up so that it would be easier for her to get out of the room as soon as possible.