Chapter 25

They'd gone out to the street. Despite what Adalberht had said, it was late, and Flora was feeling tired and sleepy. Nevertheless, she was glad that Detlef wanted to talk to her.

'I suppose I should apologize,' she said.

He was surprised to find himself unable to openly agree. The fact was that, having spent all his life as a servant, it was hard for him to accept —much less demand— apologies from someone who had been —still was?— his mistress.

Luckily, he didn't need to say anything in this respect. Flora voluntarily asked him to forgive her fit of temper and, particularly, her comment about him and the duchess. She also asked him not to abandon Adalberht and Herta because of her.

'You're saying that as if you were not planning to be with us.'

'I think I'd cause problems for you. In fact, I already have. I have ruined Adalberht's plans in this town.'

'If Adalberht is half as honorable as he claims to be, he cannot regret having lost sight of people like the Enbojups. I could tell you that you merely opened his eyes to how they really are, but that's not even the truth: They alone showed their own unworthiness. If they hadn't eaten your herbs, or whatever it was that you prepared, Adalberht and I would have given them a good thrashing, I assure you.'

She looked into his eyes with depth.

'Then, you're not angry anymore?'

'No. I'm not. But you hurt me, with your words. I... I don't know what you may be thinking, Flora, but I haven't come with you because I want Adalberht to help me. I'm here for you... only. Obviously, after what the duchess did to me, I was going to leave the place as soon as possible. But I could have gone in any other direction. I have no other reasons, Flora. Just you. I need you to know that. And that's why I cannot stand it when you insinuate or directly say that I am a henchman of your mother's. I've never cared for her. I simply didn't think I could do any other thing apart from obeying her; her or any other master. I had no reasons to hope for any other fate, or anything worth fighting for. You have provided me with a reason. But if you still have such a lowly opinion of me...'

She didn't let him finish his sentence. She kissed him. With all the sweetness of a first kiss; with all the passion of love that had been held back and frustrated for so long. Also with the value of a promise of trust.

He offered her the same value and the same promise.

Flora was the first to open her eyes in the morning. Her roommate was still asleep in the other bed and she remained there, enjoying the hopes that were floating inside her head.

Now she knew what Detlef's feelings were. Now she could rely on them to be stronger and go on.

There was another knock on the door. This time, she opened it.

It was Adalberht again. But, now, his face was somber and sad.

'Adalberht, what's wrong?'

'Flora,' he said, taking her hand. 'Please, sit down.'

They both sat on the edge of her bed. Herta didn't wake up.

'Something happened tonight. I didn't want to alarm you unnecessarily, so I tried to solve it first. But I haven't been able to.'

'What is it? What happened?' the girl asked, after Adalberht's long pause.

'Flora, Detlef...'

Adalberht was looking at her, unable to talk. She understood: He had left. Despite their conversation, despite their kiss, he had found reasons to go away and not be with her anymore. Why had she fooled herself thinking that a simple apology could make up for insulting him as she had?