Key Maker

August 21, 2019

I sat at our kitchen table, tapping my fingers against the old wood. Mother was gone, out looking for work. She most likely wouldn't be back until late tonight. My siblings were in the other room, Angie was teaching Oscar to read.

I had to do something. We couldn't keep living day by day, hoping some miracle would happen. Ever since Father left, we've been struggling.

While I was out yesterday trying to haggle a merchant into giving me some grain at a very low cost, failing, unfortunately, a man had told me about a man capable of fixing my problems.

He told me, "Go to the key maker, he will have what you're looking for."

Ever since then that's all I've been able to think about. The key maker had what I was looking for...

The problem was I didn't know what I was looking for. Not specifically anyways. I was looking for a solution that would put food on our table. I was looking for a solution that would clothe my siblings. I was looking for a solution that didn't cause my Mother to whore her self out just to get a loaf of bread.

Thinking about everything my mother had been through since Father left sent a burning rage through my body. How could he do this to us? How could he leave us? He made a promise, for better or for worse, but at the first sign of real trouble, he just left.

I couldn't just sit here. I had to do something.

I stood from the table and found Angie and Oscar on the floor.

"I'm going out," I told them.

"Where are you going, Leo?" Angie asked me.

"I'm going to try and find something that might just help us."

"How long will you be gone?" Angie didn't like being alone, which I understood. We didn't live in a very good area. It wasn't uncommon for thugs to come into your house in the middle of the day and take what they want.

"Not too long. I'll be back before sundown."

She nodded her head and I leaned down and kissed her and Oscar on the forehead before heading out.

As I walked through the streets, I continued to think about what the man had told me. What do I want?

I wasn't sure I could answer it but perhaps this key maker will help me anyways.

The streets went from rough to nice and I knew I was close. I kept an eye out for a red sign with a turquoise key on it.

The streets only got nicer and I started to worry that perhaps this man had lied to me. The part of the city that I was in now was too nice for someone like me. Jewelry shops and custom clothes shops littered the streets.

But soon enough, there was the red sign with the turquoise key on it.

I walked inside to find the walls covered in keys of all different shapes, sizes, and colors. The shop appeared to be empty. I called out but didn't hear any response. I looked around some more before someone finally spoke.

"Well, there you are boy." I turned to find an older man standing in the doorway with a childish grin on his face. "I've been waiting for you."

Word count: 557

I'd love to continue this short story a bit more but I am so tired that it won't be happening anytime soon. But I've got a couple of ideas as to where this short could go so maybe someday I'll pick it up again. Just not right now!