Chapter 47: Determination and Dedication

As Leonora instructed, her sisters and their imperial mentor gathered at the palace gardens during tea time for Leonora to let out her confession. Kaira inquired, "So, how are you going to tell me why were you and Leonhard playing tennis at four o'clock in the morning?!" Brunia raised an eyebrow and questioned, "Again, Leonora? You did the impossible; still, you're worried about bettering yourself?" Leonora nodded her head with approval as Brunia pulled her into a firm embrace, saying, "You made your big sister proud today as well!" Licha squealed with confusion, "What in the universe is going on here?! Can either of you please explain?!" The Professor added, "Yeah, even I'm quite perplexed myself." Leonora took a deep breath and narrated the entire story to her sisters and their imperial mentor:

*FLASHBACK*

One day, after Prince Leonhard's and Princess Brunia's combined lesson, they saw Leonora practicing tennis in the courtyard with a steel framework character. They approached the tennis court as their eyes widened with surprise. Brunia inquired, "Leonora, who is this?! Wait a minute... isn't this the armor from the reception hall?" Leonora neglected what her sister was asking and continued drenching herself with sweat and her cheeks glowing red by trying to defeat the steel figure. After a few minutes, the game concluded with the steel framework winning against Leonora by one point. Leonora threw her tennis racket on the ground and yelled, "UGH! DAMN THIS STUPID BAT!!!" She then buried her head in her hands and started crying with resentment and discontent. Leonhard and Brunia went over by her side and asked with concern about why she was striving to practice tennis so laboriously.

Leonora yelled while glaring at both of them, "After dearest sister Brunia returned from Rathanlandia, it inspired me to follow my dream as well, you know! One day, during our stay there, I went out for my morning jog, just as usual and I encountered my favorite tennis player; Selia Philips; the best tennis player in the history of the world! I got a rare opportunity to converse with her and tell her about myself and how much I aspire to be as fast and agile as her. She then offered me an incredible break of being her intern so that I can be a professional at the game, and travel across the globe to play several matches." Brunia raised an eyebrow and asked with concern, "Leonora, did you get a CAT scan recently?" Leonora inquired with perplexion, "I know that I'm a dunce, why in the universe do I need a CAT scan?" Brunia screamed with anger, "WHAT YOU JUST TOLD MEIS GOOD NEWS, AND YET YOU'RE POUTING ABOUT IT!?" Leonora shouted, "LET ME FINISH! She also mentioned that there's another girl of my age who has got this offer and that if I wanted the internship and emerge myself into one of the finest tennis players, I have to beat FANG HALL!" Leonhard's eyes widened, and he placed his hand on Leonora's shoulder and said, "My sweet Leo-girl, I am going to say something with all the love and affection I can muster as a friend for you; YOU ARE DOOMED!!!" Brunia asked with uncertainty, "Why is Leonora doomed?"

Leonhard responded angrily, "YOU DON'T KNOW WHO FANG HALL IS, DO YOU? She is the youngest and the most brutal tennis players of the youth generation. Even though Leonora has a fair understanding of the game, she has no chance of beating her at all! She's not ready to play with someone like that!" Leonora screamed, "THEN WHY IN THE DEVIL DO YOU THINK THAT I AM PRACTICING WITH AN ARMOR THAT IS MADE OF OUT MY MAGIC!?" Leonhard replied, "Leonora, you are going in the right direction, but you can't do this on your own, you need some moral support as well. We need to tell your sisters about your tryouts so they can encourage you." Leonora yelled, "I refuse to do that!" Brunia asked, "Why? You don't trust us?" Leonora answered, "It's not about that. Everyone has been focusing on what happens if I lose the match. Has anyone thought that what happens if I do? I need to abandon my claim to the throne if I choose to be a tennis player." Brunia placed her hands on Leonora's shoulders and affirmed, "Leonora, if you win this match and choose to fulfill your dream instead of forcing yourself to be worthy of the throne, I couldn't be more proud of you. But if you submit yourself to the Queen right now, out of fear, then you're not the person whom I thought I loved and cherished the most in this world, do you understand me?"

Brunia's inspirational speech motivated Leonora, and she regained her confidence and kept practicing. Leonhard also helped her by giving her tips about how to win a match against a better player. A few days later, was the big day that determined Leonora's future. As she and the other opponent took their places on the court, words started muttering in Leonora's mind: "Be prepared, know your strengths, don't overthink it, keep an open mind, focus on her moves rather than being terrified, trick the player into doing something according to your movement and then flip back and change the position immediately, keep your cool and maintain the momentum; that way there's no chance of you losing against her." With that advice given by Prince Leonhard and the speech given by her elder sister, Leonora won the game at game point, which almost made the audience jump out of their seat with curiosity. Tears of joy filled her eyes, and she felt like she soared high in the blue sky and was swimming across the wind and clouds on a bright sunny day that was filled with nothing but hope, the scope for improvement and prosperity. She roared with pride and relief at the top of her voice and the press and media flooded around her immediately as they were shocked to witness that a member of royal family defeated one of the most brutal tennis players. As expected, Selia Philips offered Leonora the internship, and her training would take place in Rathanlandia within a few weeks.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Licha, Kaira and Professor Heidi were stunned when they heard the transpiring of the narrative from the Princess. Licha squealed with delight and pulled Leonora into a firm embrace, "YAY! Leo, I'm so proud of you! You are also pursuing your ambitions, I couldn't be happier!" Kaira also squeezed her and complimented on her hard work and dedication. Professor Heidi smiled with joy and was proud of the remarkable progress made by her student and even congratulated her. After the excitement wore out, Professor Heidi glanced at Brunia and questioned, "Princess Brunia, I couldn't help overlooking the part of the story where Princess Leonora briefly mentioned that her encounter with Selia Philips transpired while you and she were in Rathanlandia. Why did you pay a visit to the country?" Brunia's eyes were searching across the floor rather than making eye contact with the Professor or any of her sisters. Kaira reminded, "I believe that you were the last one to be eliminated Brunia, I think that it is about time that you tell us why. And I also wanted to know that during the announcement of which one of us will be ascending the throne, she ran away after having a brief conversation that wasn't filled with any understandable detail." Brunia glanced at Leonora, who was also looking back at her. She took a deep breath and revealed, "As you speculated a few months ago at the Khan's Dark Manor, I am not his biological daughter. But with that said, when you guys ran away from the royal ball, I put myself out in the world and found out that I'm not a commoner after all."