Chapter Two

Evangeline was told she got all her features from her great grandparents and possibly her father prior to him undergoing all of his beauty procedures. The only memory of his dimples are the dips in Evangeline's cheeks. Her eyes are hazel, she doesn't know where that came from considering her father's eyes are blue and her mother's are gray. Also, her tilted almond shaped eyes must be from her grandparent's because their not from either of her parents.

It's a real test to get passed the first challenge for the entirety of the Sect succession. Fighting a violent criminal for your life isn't a council wide Successor test, it's designed just for those who aspire to be the General Successor. Evangeline is pretty sure it's the hardest test, much harder than running number at the Population Control succession. She doesn't say as much but she silently believes it.

For all of those who pass their first Succession test, a large gala is held. Her father never allowed her to attend the galas prior to this, he always said it wasn't safe for her as the future head of their family. Needless to say, she's excited, bouncing in her seat as the maid in the front of her paints sunflowers under her brow.

"Calm down." Dr. Eris-Loque, her mother, says sharply. She sit's straight, hands rapping her to the beat of the adrenaline running through her veins. "I still don't she should go, Harris."

"Her father watches her intently like he's waiting for something to go horribly wrong. "Remember to take breaks, Evangeline. This is important. You know what happens if get you too excited."

"She can't run her own stats, Harris-"

"Mother, I'll be fine." Evangelined pulled back from the woman doing her beautifying as she finished up her last brow flower. "Please don't make me stay. They've already put the thread in my braids." She says, showing off her hair.

Her hair had been rubbed down with a fast growing supplement, making it grow from it's original length at her shoulders and down to the bottom of her back. The beautifiers had then put large braids in her hair, wrapping them into two buns on each side of her head. Vines wrapped around each one, contrasting with the yellow thread fed into each braid.

Harris side hugged Dr. Eris-Loque, rubbing his wife's hair down at the base of her neck. "Let her go, it's her first Test, let her celebrate such a great win."

"We still have to send her verification in, that's an entire 19 years of documentation that I have to write by tomorrow morning." Dr. Eris-Loque complained, typing around her tablet. She suddenly looks up, gray eyes narrowed in warning. "Don't drink anything an opponent gives you. Sect Succession isn't a game, people have died for less."

Evangeline nods in understanding as pulling herself to a stand. "You've told me already, I know." She says, rubbing her hands down the front of her white ball gown. It was asymmetrical, high up her right leg and flowing in a wide circle to the ground on the other. The bottom was embroidered in sunflowers and encrusted in dyed diamonds. It was beautiful.

Her mother stares at her for a long moment, hands curling and uncurling as if she were uncomfortable. Finally, she puts down her tablet and steps forward, bringing her lips to her daughter's head. Evangeline lets out a sigh of content. "You're beautiful, darling." Her voice was monotone, straighter than kind.

It's lost the sweet taste it had before, years of tiring days at the lab and the coming Health Succession tests drained it. She never forget to do it though, never misses giving her daughter a kiss before disappearing all day. If Evangeline is grateful for anything, it's how her parents never forget to show her how loved she is. It's something a lot of the children of the council lack in their lives.