Chapter Seven

wow, guys, how long have I been gone?! forever! i really hope you like this chapter and hopefully, another will come by next week. have a good read and comment, guys, please! i really like comments, their so fun!

alright, bie

><><><><><><

Evangeline doesn't wake up to her alarm. Her mother gently shakes her to consciousness, eyebrows knitted together how they always are. Obviously, the winning high from the week before had diminished completely. Evangeline couldn't find it in herself to be unhappy about the change of moods. She pries her eyes open, dispelling any exhaustion even if her body is feeling it. She's happy to be awake though, happy to not be thinking about the sick sound of Qanz's neck breaking, enjoying the break in the constant repeat of his plea for mercy in her head.

"What's wrong?" She grumbles, sitting up. The blanket pools around her waist, exposing her bright yellow shirt under it.

The doctor pulls her blanket back, Evangeline taking that as a mute demand to get up. She throws her legs over the side of the bed, standing to her full height of 5'6. "Today, the class will be overseen by the Sovereign. He'll be watching you all very closely in order to determine who is best fit for the title of General Successor. The class will be going over a very important subject today," Dr. Loque says, all the while tapping all over her tablet screen. "Follow your father's lead."

"Yes," Evangeline answers in a breath, zipping up her uniform. She takes the time to spray her halo clean her mouth and wash her face. Her beautifiers quickly fix her hair into it's original bun and show themselves out of the room. "Is there..." She swallows, her throat suddenly feeling tight. "Has there been any news of Qanz?"

"Broken neck, fractured rib, you did well, Evangeline," Her mother's smile doesn't reach her eyes. It would sound proud to any other person but to Evangeline, it sound nonchalant, like anyone could have done it. Not many people are so psychopathic, they center their lives around other people's demise. She prays not to be that person.

><><><><

The class is being lead by General Eris today. For that reason, the class looks at Evangeline as she makes her way into the auditorium. Instead of being clad in their InviTect suits, everyone is dressed in their normal General Successor uniforms which means there would be no fighting today. In the box high above the stage, the Sovereign watches her come in. To be honest, everyone watches her come in, the whispers sounding almost immediately. Despite the work her beautifies must have put in, she looks like she didn't sleep well but moves like she isn't riddled with exhaustion. As far as Dusk is concerned, it's perfectly normal for her to look close to death but have the extreme height of energy.

Beside him, Dolores focuses on being unnecessarily seductive, pulling her hair over one shoulder. It wasn't often that she was allowed to stand next to her husband-to-be, mostly because he didn't want her to. He didn't have much say in their arrangement, his father was hoping to secure their powers, bind to their loyalties. While it would have been safer to marry into the Verez family seeing as they were true family friends, they only had a son. Not to mention, their lives were snuffed along with his parents six years ago. Dolores' father didn't have a strong bond with Dusk's family but he pledged loyalty in the face of adversity.

He said the words but that's all there was. Words. Empty, meaningless words.

Dusk didn't have to put much work into ignoring her, not even sparing her his attention as he watched Evangeline cross into the room and sit at her own desk beside Jessica. The pretty male menial- Baozi, was it- leaned over although his face stayed perfectly innocent and passed her something wrapped in a mirror-decorated cloth. Dusk almost wondered where they would have acquired such fabric. She took it with the same innocent face, eyes never straying from the stage. Dusk felt his mouth quirk; they weren't nearly as inconspicuous as they thought. She let her head fall like she was stretching but looked back up from her lap with a new excitement in her eyes. Dusk followed her gaze to the other menial, Aditiya. Her face stayed straight besides her widening her eyes. Dusk couldn't help his amusement, looking away before he was forced to smile.