[ 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ]

CHAPTER THREE ; MIDNIGHT WHISPERS
"because no matter how tough the world becomes, you must never run out of sweetness."
— kathryn bernardo

     HER CHEEKS WERE FLUSHED AND EYES GLOSSY

     HER CHEEKS WERE FLUSHED AND EYES GLOSSY. juniper stepped off the chariot as it halted, back in the place it previously inhabited. she pressed the back of her hand to her forehead, trying to collect herself.

      midway through the chariot ride, she was struck with another wave of realization. she was going to have to kill children. it made her palms clam up and her smile fall to her feet. midway through the chariot ride, juniper struggled to come up with a plan.

     she leaned back against the side of the chariot, tilting her head back and staring up at the capitol civilians above who chanted various names. her breath came out in short pants, the girl clearing her throat in an attempt to collect herself. she looked over at the other tributes, seeing the small girl from district twelve in the corner — weeping. her name was alice.

     juniper's feet carried her over before her mind could make a solid decision. she played with her fingers, shoulders slumping slightly as she approached the small child. juniper cleared her throat, taking a seat next to the female district twelve tribute. juniper glanced at the distraught girl before looking to the floor.

     "if it makes you feel any better, maddox puked — twice." juniper whispered, shifting her gaze back to the young girl. a small smile spread across juniper's face when alice laughed, the child wiping her tears. they locked eyes, juniper offering another sad smile. "i know you may not believe me . . ." she inhaled slowly, looking up to see finnick, cecelia, haymitch, and mags watching the pair with curious eyes. ". . . but everything will be okay in the end."

     juniper held finnick's stare with her own. "whether you live or die, you still find some sort of peace."

     tearing her eyes away from the mesmerizing victor, she looked back down at alice. the small girl was playing with her blonde hair, sniffling softly. "but i'm afraid, i'm so afraid." alice whispered, looking up at juniper with tears in her eyes.

     sighing softly, juniper spoke. "we can be afraid together, okay? as friends, allies — whatever you want to call it, but we can be afraid together."

      alice took juniper's hand. "friends."

     juniper had figured out her plan. she was going to make sure alice and herself were the final two, and then — juniper was going to sacrifice herself for the child who deserved to live. alice.

     juniper stood, brushing off the fabric of her dress. "i'll see you in training, alice." she offered another kind smile, but it never reached her eyes. alice weakly waved goodbye. "see you soon, friend."