Chapter 1: New Years Eve

The sound of my alarm clock.

The only noise which I absolutely despised in this world. Well, of course, apart from crying babies and fighting adults. I couldn't stand those two either.

I quickly reached out from under the warmth of the covers to snooze the shit out of it. The only problem was that I reached out a bit too far over the edge of the bed. And as usual, this clumsy action of mine resulted in me ending up of the hard wooden floor, not to mention freezing, and my alarm clock ending up on top of me.

I woke up with a loud thud as a pain erupted in my back. I forced my eyes open against the strong sunlight to find myself laid across the dark wooden floor.

Using the edge of the mattress for support, I carefully hoisted myself back onto the bed. It was New Year's Eve and my day couldn't have gotten any worse.

I decided to take a morning walk around the busy streets of NYC. I quickly gathered my essentials, pulling on a pair of mittens and a fuzzy winter hat before throwing on a warm coat over my sweater and jeans. I slid my iPhone into my pocket before grabbing a few dollar bills and sticking them in as well. I glanced over to my bestfriend, who was out cold on the couch. The clothing on her pale skin continued to reek of alcohol. She was such a party animal. And then there was me; a complete social anxiety freak. I was studying to become a doctor. How ironic right? I covered her up with a fleece blanket before heading out the door, making sure that it was properly locked. Precautions.

As soon as I stepped outside, the cold air hit my face, making shivers run down my supposedly warm body. It made me want to desperately run back to the warmth of my apartment. But I had to carry on with my little morning adventure. If I were to wait any longer, I would soon encounter the busy morning traffic of the city. And let's just say that I wasn't too keen on getting pushed around by complete strangers. I walked to the nearest coffee shop, making the bell atop ring as I carefully pulled the glass door open. The strong scent of coffee hit my face, making me inhale the aroma to its entirety before scanning the menu with my eager eyes.

"Hi, what can I get you?"

"Can I have a vanilla chai tea latte please. "

"Name?"

"Meira."
___________________________________

I slowly sipped my drink, quietly watching as the snowflakes fell from the sky, piling on top of one another as they created a delicate white blanket over the trees and streets down below.

I soon heard shifting accompanied with multiple groans. I swiftly turned around to witness what I had been expecting: An idiot clutching her head in pain all due to not being able to handle alcohol responsibly. What a pity.

"Ugh, my heads killing me! Yo, can you like help me instead of standing there like an ass!"

I rolled my eyes before grabbing a bottle of pills and tossing it onto the couch

"Take this, it'll help. Who told you to drink so much?" I huffed in annoyance.

"I guess I got a bit carried away last night. Sorry," she sheepishly grinned.

"A bit?" I questioned, laughing at the statement that came flying out of her mouth.

And that, is where I lost it.

"Do you have any fucking idea about what happened last night?" I spoke in a deadly tone.

"N-no?"