Chapter 2: The Power of Makeup

"The party's at 7:00 you said?"

"Yeah. Heather just texted me. It's starts at seven. Her house is like forty minutes away, so we need to leave around 6:15."

"And like I said, there won't be excessive drinking, and it won't get out of control. I promise."

"Okay, but remember one thing."

"No drinking," she finished off.

I made my way over to my desk, which was currently a cluttered mess. There were papers everywhere. I began to sort them out, carefully filing them into pastel colored folders. I pulled out a few draws in hopes of finding paperclips or at least a stapler, but had no luck in finding either one.

Contemplating life, I began to type on my laptop, attempting to finish a research paper that I had started before we left for the party. Fun, I know.
___________________________________
I woke up to a hand gently nudging my shoulder. I slowly sat up, rubbing my tired eyes, wanting to go back to sleep any moment.

"Hey, get up. We need to start getting ready."

I groaned in response.

"Why can't we just stay home?" I questioned.

"Come on, don't say that. You need to start experiencing new things in your life. What do you even do besides studying and sleeping? Get your lazy ass up, now."

"Okay, mom."

I quickly showered while Maya gathered the makeup, essentials, etc.

"But what am I going to wear?"

I didn't own a single party dress. I was the type of person who always opted for comfort over appearance. But I guess looks are more important in today's world, whether it be to gain more likes on social media or simply gaining popularity. No one really vouches for a good personality anymore, and that is just sad.

"Here, wear this. I'm sure it'll fit you," she said, tossing a dress into my arms.

I stared at the red cascading sequin-embellished dress. It was almost as if love at first sight. The color as well as the rhinestones that ran along the sides had me completely dazed. It was a gorgeous dress without a doubt.

I put the dress on, smoothing it out so that it was even.

"Damn, I'm actually speechless," Maya laughed as she stared me up and down.

"If I were a guy, I would totally ask you out," she spoke with a smirk.

I stared at her for a good second.

"You and I both know that no guy is ever going to be able to handle a personality such as mine. Besides, all people care about these days is how big your ass is and how fit you are. That's literally it," I spat out.

"Who knows? You can't really escape fate you know. If someone's destined to meet with you, they will for sure. You can't change that."

"Okay, okay my bright scholar. Where is all this even coming from? I'm actually scared at all this knowledge emerging from you," I teased her.

"You know, I'm actually smarter than what you give me credit for," she stated.

"Sure. If you'll shut up now, can I please continue getting ready?" I spoke sassily.

I started off with a moisturizer, before applying a light layer of a liquid foundation to protect my skin. I did a base color for the eyeshadow and looked over to the rest of the palettes which were spread around in front of me. I grabbed a glitter eyeshadow, dabbing on the gold glitter with an applicator before I finished it off with a winged eyeliner. Skipping the mascara and brows, I brushed on some blush and smeared on a red lipstick, coating it with some lipgloss. Lastly, I dabbed on the tiniest bit of highlighter. Anything sparkly made me happy. I was content with my results, so I decided to move onto the hair.

You know, sometimes I wonder about the difference between makeup and art. Taking makeup, for instance, people decorate their faces, trying to express themselves or hide their flaws. While in art, people decorate the canvas in front of them, trying to create a fresh piece of work. I guess makeup is a form of art as well. Makeup tends to give some people a feeling of reassurance that they too can be physically flawless, and I totally get that. But what I don't get is how some people can smear on a ton of makeup and create certain trends or looks, causing others to feel like complete shit due to not having the same facial features naturally. And that's where plastic surgery comes into perspective. All due to people not being able to accept everyone for who they are and how they look.

I raised from the dresser to go grab a bottle of thermal heat spray as well as my curling iron. I sprayed the sections of hair and curled them, creating gentle spiral curls. I proceeded to braid my soft black hair into a waterfall braid, letting the curls fall onto my back. I finally finished it off with a hairspray, making sure everything was intact.

Slipping on a silver ring embedded with white diamonds, I settled to wear a pretty teardrop stone necklace.

I walked over to the corner of the room, where the full length mirror was located, just standing there for a good two minutes, viewing my own reflection. In front of me was stood a completely different person. A person who was gorgeous, a person who appeared confident, and a person who wasn't afraid to meet the cruel, outside world.

The power of makeup.

After receiving a whole ton of compliments from Maya, I grabbed my purse and phone before we exited our apartment.