Prologue

Marinette had the most amazing life. She spent most of her days exploring the mansion she lived in with her best friends, Alya and Luka. Both were the children of servants in the household, but they had no care of Mari's higher social status, and neither did she. Tom and Sabine loved their daughter as much as they loved each other, and that was big enough as it was. They always taught Marinette to be hardworking, no matter how many servants she had. Due to those teachings, Marinette never left when Alya and Luka were doing chores.

        There was only one thing Mari disliked, The Bourgeois family visits, though she never let it show. Their daughter, Chloe, was Marinette's age, but was always bragging about how good she was and how Mari was a nobody compared to her. Mari told her that she thought that Chloe was very talented, but that they were equals. No matter how often she said it, Chloe only scoffed. Mari decided to take the high road whenever the Bourgeois visited.

        Yet, not long after, tragedy struck. During a business trip, Tom and Sabine were killed. Since their relatives were all too far to take care of the house and Marinette, the authorities decided the Bourgeois were the best option to take care of the Dupain-Cheng property, of which they willingly took ownership of. To Marinette, they had ownership of everything she knew. They had ownership of her house, her friends, her parent's proper burial. Then a terrible thought crossed her mind

                                               The Bourgeois family had ownership of her.