The New School

It was a sunny day at Oakville Farm. The roosters were crowing, sheep were baaing, the cows were mooing and horse hooves were racing up mountain sides in the beautiful sunrise. Savannah had moved all the way from Queenstown to Nelson. She had to transfer all of her animals to her new house. Including her horses, her sisters cows, her mums chickens, her brothers reptiles, her dad's sheep and the family dogs,birds and cats up to Nelson. It was about a 10 hour drive. Savannah's family didn't like it at all but she absolutely loved it. She got to see the the whole west side of New Zealand. Her sister Shelby kept nagging her mum Thora " Are we there yet? Are we there yet? " so that wrecked it for those two and her brother Kody was snoring for the whole 10 hour trip. Her dad Micheal had to listen to everyone nagging and snoring and all of the noise in the back was driving him crazy! He also had a really bad back pain, but Savannah just blocked out all of the noise and looked at the country side. Sheep jumping on top of each other, cows watching over there young and horses watching as the cars drive past.

When she got to her 10 acre block of land. It was huge. She was amazed at how much space they had to fit all of 5 horses and 2 ponies, 30 sheep, 18 cows, 7 chickens, 2 animals per different reptile, 3 dogs, 4 birds and 9 cats. That's 86 animals in total to fit on 10 acres of land. Too easy! Still plenty of space to ride around on her beautiful, grey gelding, Sunny.

School starts today. Her friends Stella and Dannielle go to this school so they can show her around. Savannah's a bit nervous because she knows the teacher will call her up infront of the whole class to tell everyone about herself. She doesn't like the idea of that at all. " Hurry up Savannah! You'll be late for school! " her mum yelled. " You'll have to ride, the car has broken down! " " even worse " Savannah thought " Now I have to ride a horse to school... How embarrassing! " Savannah went off to saddle Sunny and trotted off to school.

Savannah got to school and she felt so awkward. Everyone was starring at her because she rode a horse to school. Whispering about her in each other's ears. Watching as she tired her horse up. She walked down the concrete slab and sat by herself until Stella or Dannielle came... They didn't come until the bell went. " Hey Savannah! " a voice from behind shouted. It was Stella. She came " Dannielle isn't coming today. She's sick. But anyway shouldn't you be heading to the principal to get your... Is that Sunny? " Stella chuckled " Yes, yes it is. Could you come with me to the principal. Please. " Savannah begged " Okay then let's go. " Stella took Savannah to the office to see the principal. Ah, hello. You must be Savannah Rose. " the principal exclaimed " that's me. Um also is it alright if my horse stays here for the day, our car broke down so I had to ride. " Savannah felt embarrassed " of course you can. Just check on him at recess and lunch. Oh and your in Stella and Dannielle's class. They insisted on you being in their class. Well you two had better get off to class. "

Stella and Savannah entered the classroom. Everyone starred and one person said aloud " She rode to school on a beautiful white horse. She's a really good rider! " Savannah was surprised that people weren't laughing at her. They thought she was amazing! " hello Savannah, I'm your teacher Miss McLaughlin. Would you like to sit in between Stella and Dannielle? " Savannah nodded and walked to her seat. " so Savannah how many animals do you have? Stella said you live on a farm! " Miss McLaughlin seemed very interested. " all together we have 86 animals " " wow! " the whole class whispered in amazement. I was going to say if you wanted you could bring them all in but 86 I don't think that would fit in the school. Did someone say you rode a horse to school. " Miss McLaughlin asked in a confused manner " yes, yes I did. Would you like to see him? " Savannah asked. The whole class starred at the teacher to say yes. " why not. Okay Savannah and Stella you go first and we'll catch up. " They ran out of the class room and bolted to Sunny.

As they reached Sunny he looked very hungry. Savannah gave him some mixed pellets and chaff. By the time he started eating the class had reached them. Everyone wanted to touch, ride or hug him because he was so adorable. " so um is he able to be ridden by our students. Like a pony ride? " " of course he is " Savannah said with excitement. " okay but where's the seat? " Miss McLaughlin asked sounding very confused. " you don't need a saddle. Just watch me! Stella can I get a leg up. " " Sure! " Stella shouted. Savannah showed them a bit of a trot, a side pass and a bit of a walking. Savannah shouted " you can even ride double. Stella, hop on! " Stella pulled her self up and they rode around the school oval. Everyone's jaws dropped to the ground because of how amazed they were. Stella and Savannah stopped at a spot and yelled " you can line up with a partner or by your self. We won't trot unless your experienced. Line up! " everyone rushed to be first in line. Savannah and Stella slid of Sunny and gave the next people a leg up. The pony rides took up the whole of the session till recess. Then come recess everyone in the school wanted to have a go. So Stella and Savannah where there for the WHOLE day give people pony rides, saddling and unsaddling depending on what the rider wanted to do, by the end of the day Stella, Savannah and Sunny were tired out. Savannah gave Stella a lift home. " hey Savannah you should invite the school to your place for an excursion because you have so many amazing animals! " Stella mentioned " but I'd have to get my mum, dad, sister and brother to approve... " " I'll go to your place and make your mum say yes!" They rode off into Savannah's street, got to the house, put Sunny in his paddock and went into the house to talk to her mum about the excursion thing.

Savannah's mum didn't look to happy at the moment. But of course Savannah had no chance of backing out with Stella still there with her. Savannah asked her mum about it. " Yeah sure I guess. You'll have to ask your dad, brother and sister first and you've got to sort out all of the permission notes, information notes and money because they ain't coming here for free, I'm telling you that right now!! " Savannah was so surprised. She gave her mum a hug and ran off to ask dad. Her dad won't be as challenging as her brother and sister though.

So she's asked her whole family and everyone's answers were yes! Except, her brother is only letting her use his animals as an exhibition Savannah had to clean his room for 1 month. Savannah would do anything for this excursion. Now that she's gotten the family to say yes, she just needs the principals okay.