IV - APOCALYPSE PLEASE

I saw with my neighbour from Trigonometry at lunch. I vaguely remembered that her name was Jessica. She and her friends (Lauren, Mike, Eric, Tyler and Angela) interrogated me about Phoenix and I answered them the best I could while trying to ignore them in favour of eating my sandwich. They soon became bored with me and left me to eat my lunch at peace. I felt deeply grateful to Angela, who told them to let me eat. I was hungry. Taking a sip of my orange juice I let my eyes flitter around the cafeteria. It was then that I saw them.

They were sitting around one of the tables, their plates untouched. There were five of them. Three men (I could no call them boys – they didn't look it) and two women. The first male was big and muscular. He had dark, curly hair. The female next to him could have easily been a model for a fashion magazine. She had blonde hair and was extremely beautiful. Next to her sat a small, and very thin, female with short and spiked hair. She was conversing with a blond male who was a bit on the lanky side. He seemed the calmest out of the bunch. The last male was less bulky and more boyish then the others. He had bronze coloured hair that reminded me of Edward's locks. He was looking out the window when I looked at him. He seemed bored out of his mind. I would be too if I had to stare at the clouds outside.

But what caught my interest was not how they interacted with each other, but how similar they were. They all had pale skin, deep purple bruises under their golden eyes (I assumed they all had golden eyes, since the bronze haired guy was still staring out the window). But what shook me the most was that they were all so very,... inhumanly beautiful.

"Who are they?" I asked Jessica. She seemed like a gossipy girl. She immediately turned to where I was looking and sniffed.

"They're the Cullens. They don't interact with us much."

I waited for her to continue and she didn't disappoint.

"The big one is Emmett and the blonde girl next to him is Rosalie. The black-haired girl is Alice and the one she's holding hands with is Jasper. Jasper and Rosalie are twins. And the one looking out the window is Edward Cullen."

I gasped silently at the name. In the pit of my stomach butterflies started flying around. Was it just a coincidence that he had the same bronze locks and name as my Edward? I hope it wasn't.

"They're all adopted of course. Dr. Cullen and Mrs. Cullen can't have kids it seems."

I hmmed at her to let her know I was listening as I still stared across the cafeteria at the bronze-haired boy willing him to turn around and look at me with his green eyes. I hoped they were green.

"Don't get your hopes up," Jessica interrupted my staring session. "Edward Cullen doesn't date. Ever since he came to this school two years ago (his family moved down from Alaska) he hasn't dated. It's like none of the girls at the school are good enough for him."

I noticed that Edward Cullen's cheeks lifted a bit, as if he was hiding a smile and I wondered if he could hear what we were talking about. It was then that he turned his head towards Jessica. I felt my stomach drop to my feet.

It was him.

It was Edward.

Oh my God!

I would recognize the face anywhere, even though his eyes were as golden as the rest of his family. It didn't change much, it only became more beautiful, which confused me. How was it possible that he hadn't changed an inch from when I saw him last. His face wasn't weak with fever now, and glowed healthily (if you ignored the pale skin and the bruises under his eyes).

My heart fluttered for a second before it came to a stop as his eyes turned on my face. I held my breath and felt my face redden. One of the things I hated about this body was that it blushed so easily.

It was only a moment, but his eyes moved away from mine in disinterest.

What?

How could he not recognize me? My soul felt fuller than ever before just at the sight of him. His should have done the same. What was wrong with him?

I stared at him for the rest of the lunch break. He never turned to me again, but rather talked to his family quietly. I felt my insides crumble as the realization broke through.

He did not recognize me.

He did not remember me.

Oh God.

What do I do now?

I felt my eyes tear up and my heart started to hurt. It was hard to breathe.

Then he looked at me again, frustration in his eyes. It was like I hadn't met some expectation of his when he frowned at me, getting more frustrated by the second. I pulled my eyes from his face and looked down at my mangled sandwich, my appetite suddenly gone.