Chapter One: Halloween in Salem

This was a Halloween request from mayawestenhofer !!!!

"...And so the Sanderson sisters were hanged by the Salem town folk. Now there are those who say, that on Halloween night, a black cat still guards the old Sanderson House. Warning off any who might make the witches come back to life." Your teacher finished. It was a story you had heard a million times, the story of The Sanderson Sisters.

"Give me a break." A voice groaned in total disbelief.

You squinted your eyes and looked over at the boy sitting at desk in the row next to your own. He was the new kid and very unimpressed with the history of Salem.

"Uh huh. We seem to have a skeptic in our midst. Mr. Dennison, would you care to give your California, laid back, tie-dyed point of view?" The teacher asked him. "Okay. Granted that you guys here in Salem are all into these black cats and witches and stuff..." "Stuff?" The teacher asked, getting him to explain more. "Fine. But everyone here knows that Halloween was invented by the candy companies. It's a conspiracy." He said.

At this point, you had to set him straight. "It just so happens that Halloween is based on the ancient feast called All Hallow's Eve. It's the one night of the year where the spirits of the dead can return to Earth." You said, looking over at him. The rest of the class cheers and claps, including the teacher, about your statement. You hear your best friend Allison yell, "Exactly."

"Well said, (Y/n)." The teacher tells you, and everyone begins to pack up before the bell rings. Max gets up from his desk with a piece of paper and walks over to yours. He hands the folded up paper to you. "Well in case Jimmy Hendrix shows up tonight, here's my number." He says, causing the class to groan in annoyance while a few whistled. The bell rings and Allison pulls you out of the classroom.

"Max, fat chance." A guy tells him, talking about whether or not you would actually go out with him.

As you walked to your next class with Allison, you opened up the piece of paper. It said:

Max Dennison
555-9142

"Max Dennison, huh?" Allison asked, reading the paper. "Yeah. I don't really know about him." You responded.

The school day was over and you were walking over to where you meet Allison. Suddenly Max came up to you, riding his bike. You slowed your pace as he said, "(Y/n)." He got off his bike and walked next to it.

"Hi." You responded. "Hi. Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you in class." Max said. "You didn't." You reassured him. He should be the embarrassed one. You thought. "My name's Max Dennison." He introduced, as if he hadn't already written it down on a piece of paper. "Yeah, I know. You just moved here, huh?"

"Yeah, last week." He answered. "Must be a big change for you." You said, glancing over at him. "Yeah, that's for sure." He agreed. "You don't like it here?" You asked, well, more of assumed. "Oh, the leaves are great, but... I don't know, it's just all this Halloween stuff." Max said. "You don't believe in it?" You asked, although you already knew your answer.

"What do you mean, like the Sanderson sisters? No way." He said. You saw Allison ahead, waiting for you, so you stopped and turned towards Max. He stopped too, mirroring you. "Not even on Halloween?" You asked. He smirks and says, "Especially not on Halloween!"

You give him sweet smile as you pull out a folded up piece of paper and hold it out to him. "Trick or treat!" You said, and he takes the paper. You walk away and catch up with Allison leaving him with an identical paper as the one he gave you.