Chapter 1

RHK 1||

I remembered a video my history teacher had us watch during class. It was a video about Emancipation I believe. A famous speaker, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., had said that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

At that final stage of growing up, I'm sure most people would have a dream they're passionate about. Whether it's to become an amazing dancer, or a successful doctor, or even striving to enroll in a well known college to receive higher education. As long as you have the confidence and skills required to pursue your ambitions, anything is possible. So I was told.

But, in this harsh and cold reality we call life, not everything will turn out the way you envisioned it. Apparently, believing a successful outcome will happen-- just because you put your heart into something you want to achieve-- doesn't always work out in your favor.

Because you'll only be consumed by the feeling of disappointment.

For me, after graduating high school, my future was still undecided. It wasn't the fact that I didn't know what career I wanted to follow. It was the fact of which career --out of the two I had in mind-- would be the right choice for me.

On one hand I wanted to be a writer, but on the other, an artist. Both careers involved putting my imagination, along with my creativity, onto paper and presenting it in a way that will attract people's interest. But which would I prefer better? Writing stories, or drawing art?

I needed time to think; a much needed break between high school and college - because I was completely burnt out from all the school work. My brain needed time to reco-operate.

Dad supported and understood my decision to take a gap year. What a smart and loving father. But mommy dearest-- whom I had discovered after boarding a flight to the U.K.-- had different plans.

You see, every summer, since gaining the ability to recollect memories, my parents would plan a family trip. We've traveled various countries; from the vast outbacks of Australia to the tropical, sun-bathing islands of the Bahamas. Those trips were wonderful.

This year's trip however.

To say I was stunned about the idea of going to Scotland would probably be the understatement of the year.

Imagine my reaction when my parents walked into my room and told me that. I literally had to persuade my dad into buying me another smartphone because the previous one broke when it fell harshly to my bedroom floor.

Why did it fall?

Simple. I was talking to my boyfriend, Mark, about a college that recently accepted him when the news came to me about visiting the land of magical fairies and axe wielding warriors. I was so overwhelmed with intense shock that I unintentionally released my grip on my phone, and gravity did it's job well after that.

At first, I thought this trip would be no different from all the others.

Boy did they have me fooled. Or more precisely, she had me fooled.

She waited until the plane tickets were bought. Until I had packed a large duffel bag full of assorted clothes and oral hygiene instruments. She just had to wait until the plane safely departed from the airport to inform me of the list of medical universities we would be visiting in Scotland.

I have to give it to her. She was smart to wait until we were over 30,000 ft. in the air to drop that news on me. Had she told me at the airport, before we boarded the plane, I would've quickly given my ticket to a random stranger in a heart beat.