chapter 1 ; feline

You continuously tried to scrub off a dried sauce stain on the table, and as fast as you could before more customers arrive. The soft ring of the cafe's door chime makes you sigh in frustration. Working during dinnertime was stressful.

At the same time it was also rush hour, which meant that most probably wouldn't reach home in time for supper. Many realized that so they decided to eat at any suitable place that was near. You wouldn't blame them, because you'd do the same thing.

So, with this cafe literally between and towered over by skyscrapers in the big city, you had to expect many customers. It was good because with all the money coming in, you were paid well and even enough for yourself due to tips. But the worst shit about it was that, it was a maid cafe. It seemed to be the only downside to it, so you just sucked it up and did your job. You believed that as long as you kept a low profile, you would be fine.

A man walks in with a black briefcase, and immediately the maids bowed to welcome him. He seemed to be a wealthy businessman, seeing his suit looked to be made of fine material. And so you finally scrub off the stain and finished cleaning up the table. You walked over to the man in order to escort him to an empty table.

With quick hands adjusting your headband with cat ears and then brushing off any crumbs that stuck to the white apron tied around your waist, you put up an adorable smile. Your hands were there to guide him.

"This way, master!"

You pulled out his seat and then gave him a menu.

"I'll be back for you, master." You say with a wink, before leaving.

As much as you despised being this way, you needed to be appealing and act the part as a maid. And to make it worse, every other week there was a theme where you had to dress up. This week was cats. Each maid had a headband with cat ears, a collar with a bell, and an electronic tail. You looked around and saw customers, mainly men, drooling whenever a maid's skirt went up when they had to bend over to pick up something. Luckily all maids wear shorts underneath, but men still drool at the sight of thighs.

You never had that kind of moment with the customers, even though they try to trick you into bending over. When that happens, you elegantly kneel, covering everything. Not like the innocent maids that obliviously fall for their schemes.

This was something you didn't want to let happen, so you usually tell the maids about it after their shift. But sadly the cafe always switches maids every week, and it's always too busy for you to be able to warn the newbies. The management seemed to believe "variety" keeps the customers coming. Good thing you were one of the veteran maids that seemed too valuable for switching.

You reached the kitchen and prepared some common ingredients for the new customer and to help out the chef. The cook is a friendly man, and was the only cook we had. He deeply thanked you for the support, but you didn't mind them and waved them off with a hand. You walked out with a pen and notepad in hand. A second sigh escapes, knowing you'll still be in for this busy night.

- - -

After a while you had to take the cook's shift for the rest of the night, since he had to leave for some kind of emergency. You happily took his position, because it was better than going out there. Now you were the cook, not the maid. You were the best cook from out of all the maids, which explains why you usually helped out in the kitchen.

You finish up a few rice bowls with pork cutlet in them and place it up on an open window for it to be served. As a few soups were boiling, you prepared the grill for new orders. Instead you were surprised with a light tap on the shoulder. You turned to see the head maid.