Second Act, part 1

With the first lights of the morning Sun she came, a thin, petite, brunette lady, covered from toes to head. She walked slowly, cautiously, using a cane made out of an olive tree branch. She would stumble and hit a wall from time to time, but eventually, she would walk forwards just enough meters.
The woman with snake hair heard the noises and jumped out of her bed. She grabbed her sword and fixed her hair. Now, once again covered as though nothing was odd about her, she walked adamantly towards the lady, who had interrupted the woman's slumber in such a disrespectful way.
-Who are you and why are you here?- The woman's voice echoed around the temple like thunder.
-Well... Hello. Ha, I wasn't expecting to hear such a fair voice.- The lady said, smiling towards the wall. She didn't have her eyes covered, but refused to make eye contact.- I am Apollonia, named after the God of the Sun, as I began crying only when the Sun hit my face. You must be the priestess my friends told me about.
-That's a nice story. Too bad I won't hear the end of it.- The woman said as she approached Apollonia with a sinister look on her face.
Determined to end their encounter, the woman quickly let go of her head coverings and grabbed Apollonia by her cheeks. The snakes stared at Apollonia, yet they did not hiss. And Apollonia did not scream.
-I'm sorry, did I do something?- Apollonia managed to say, sweetly yet nervously.
-You... You should be dead.- The woman took a step backward and held her sword just between Apollonia and herself.- You should have turned into stone.
-So the stories are true, then?
-What stories?
Apollonia sat on the ground and put her cane next to her. She began telling the woman of this wretched monster that had taken over this temple of Athena, slaying all who came seeking answers from the priestess. Apollonia described the monster as being as tall as a trireme's mast, hideous as the rotten flesh of a gruesome battle. Its stench worse than the charred animal's hide and meat after a forest fire, and merely staring at the monster's eyes would mean the death of anyone. Man, woman, child or elder.
But whoever managed to defeat such a creature, would have the privilege of talking to the priestess, who is alleged to have the powers of communicating directly to the Gods like no other can.
-And that's... the story. I guess there is no monster!- Apollonia happily ended the story, trying to get up using her cane.
-There is. I am afraid it is I.- The woman's voice, which once was firm and strict, became somber. Even sad.
-You? The monster? What has this world become, if a monster has such a lovely voice!- The woman raised her eyes and saw Apollonia staring at... nowhere.- I'm sure you are the priestess and are just messing with me. They told me you are called... Medusa?
-I haven't heard that name in years.- Shivers ran through Medusa's back. She felt weak, sickened. Her blood was pumping with wrath and she could barely manage to stay calm.
-I think it is a beautiful name.- Apollonia let go some words that made Medusa's world fall into pieces.- In any case, priestess of Athena, could you help me?
Medusa stared at Apollonia, wondering why her eyes were locked on nothingness and nothingness at all. Why her powers did not work. Why her snake did not hiss.
-Why aren't you looking at me?- Medusa asked, her voice shaky.
-Because I am blind from birth, priestess.- Apollonia let go of a cheerful smile, hopeful in such a distressful situation. What has held her life back all these years has now saved her from a certain, indescribably painful death.
Medusa was smitten. She walked slowly towards Apollonia, and before anything, she made sure Apollonia had no weapons on her. Apollonia wasn't armed. Medusa then grabbed her by her arm and carefully walked her to the bed, where they sat and talked about what Apollonia needed.
She told the priestess she was having problems conceiving children for her husband, and no other priest had been able to help her. No God, no temple, nothing.
-My husband has become increasingly frustrated with this. I do not blame him. I feel ashamed of not being able to fulfill my marital duty of granting him children.- Apollonia admitted, her voice filled with sadness and regret.- He is a good man, and I want to carry his children. It is only right.- Medusa noticed some bruises hiding behind the clothing, which she couldn't have seen before because of the shadows of the temple.
-Has he ever strike you?- Medusa asked.
-He has, indeed, but alas, why wouldn't he?- Apollonia was convinced she deserved the punishment.- He has been working for me and taking care of me while I waste my life not being able to carry his offspring. He has been faithful and caring. A loving husband.
-Tell him to come to me.- Medusa's voice became stone cold, a deadly omen of what was to come. Her blood boiling, hearing such a lovely lady being punished for something she couldn't control.- I can fix your problems. Tell him to come tonight, alone, with a casket of the finest wine and freshest meat he can get.
-I will, my priestess. What should I do until then?
-Sleep soundly, dress nicely and come see me three days from today. Here, I will escort you to the doors.- Medusa stood up and grabbed Apollonia once again by the arm. Apollonia grabbed her back.
They both walked slowly towards the exit. Medusa hasn't been in that part of the temple during the daytime for years now, and the brightness of the Sun was blinding her. Alas, she kept walking, until they reached the entrance.
-Farewell, Apollonia. I will take care of your husband.- Medusa said, greeting Apollonia farewell.
-I know you will, Medus... Sorry, priestess.- She said, naively.
Medusa walked back towards the darkness, and sat on the border of her bed, waiting for the night to engulf us all, and for the bastard Apollonia calls husband to come.