Survivors

"I- I'm not a hunter!", I stuttered, jumping away from the stranger in front of me, who took a step closer, reaching in their pocket as they did so.

As I looked closer at the stranger, I noticed they we're wearing a dark colored ski mask under their pulled up hood, dark jeans and black sneakers. Nothing about this person gave away who, or what they were.

The stranger suddenly grabbed my hand, yanking me closer and pulled out a scanner.

"Where did you get that?", I whispered, steadily getting more worried. Only hunters carried scanners, they were used solely to scan the chips embedded in peoples palms.

Ignoring my question, the unknown figure swished the scanner over my open palm, and waited for the auto response from it.

"Wanna tell me why you're not in the system?", the stranger asked me.

Jerking my hand away again, I grabbed Carson's jacket and yanked him behind me, careful to keep my eyes on the stranger.

"I don't have to explain anything to you, hunter!", I spat slowly backing away, waiting for a chance to run.

"I'm no hunter!", the stranger laughed, pocketing the scanner once more. "Would you like proof?"

Hesitating for a moment, I finally nodded.

Without speaking, the stranger pulled back their hood, lifted the ski mask off their face and shook the loose hair out of their eyes.

I felt my jaw drop, but there was nothing I could do to hide my surprise. Before me stood a girl, no more than a year older than I, with short, shaggy white blonde hair that kept getting in her eyes, deep ocean blue eyes, and pale porcelain skin. She was beautiful. Suddenly, I felt my heartbeat pick up as I finally spoke.

"I- well. That proves nothing.", I pointed out, still keeping my guard up.

With a small sigh, the girl pulled out the scanner once more, and waved it over her own palm.

"No chip, see?", she told me. Showing me the screen. "Even the hunters have chips you know.", she said knowingly.

"How do you even know that? ", I asked raising my eyebrow.

"I overheard it at one of the big hunters meetings. Guess they don't trust each other just as much as they don't trust the rest of us.", she said with a slight laugh. "Come on, ill take you guys to meet the others", she told me, putting her hand out for me to take.

"Others?", I asked quickly. "I didn't think anyone else survived all the killings in this part of town.", I told her.

"You've got a lot to learn", she said with a smile. "My names Skye by the way.", she added quickly.

As I grabbed Sykes hand, I suddenly felt my face flush a a dark red, ignoring it I grabbed Carson's hand with my free one, and set off to meet the people I never even knew still existed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Hi guys! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a few days /: I started a new job so I've been super busy. I feel like this chapter wasn't as good as it could have been. Let me know what you think?

My goal is to get at least 1 read and 2 new comments before next update. Have any ideas about my story? Drop them in the comments!

xoxoxox

-kris