Herbology Boys

1730 words

🌱🌿

______________

'Don't know when this started, don't know how to make it stop.'

_____

All he has to do is turn around with that little grin of his- not even directed towards me- and I'm mush. Putty. Utterly destroyed with a flush face and hot ears.

-

"I'll go on without you."

"Okay, Herbology right? "

"Yeah, with those blasted Gryfinfors." He snickered, and I mimicked one back.

Maybe if we were closer we would've fist-pumped, or he'd give a playful shove. However I was never really close to Nott, we were just lonely, so decided to combine that loneliness to emulate friendship.

I watched his scarily lanky frame exit the hall, and ran my lips over my pleasantly crunchy toast. It was a habit my mother always scolded me for ; 'playing with food' she'd say, 'is a disgrace to the source.' I continued to absentmidedly fondle my food, when I saw him. Him and his pillow brown locks, and his awkwardly fiddling thumbs. Talking to Lovegood to be precise. She made some sort of joke, gesturing wildly with her hands all wriggling about that made him smile.

Oh Merlin, he 'smiled.'

I took a shakey inhale, he was killing me. I had to leave before I made a complete fool of myself, like the lovesick-school-girl-minded Slytherin I am. Pushing the chair back in, I dropped my head and sauntered out of the school. People talked and murmered all around me, and the halls started to crowd with classes clawing closer. I should've left earlier.

------

"Now thisis obscene!" Ms Sprout had smoke around her head, "students your age behaving this way!"

She tutted, and moved to the abandoned sector of the green house. Looking at the culprits, Potter and Malfoy. The already dirty floor, was now a forest of soil and crying sapplings; their roots in the air reaching for something, anything. Dependance shoots, other wise known as the maturing sappling.

I read up on them someday ago, after I grew an interest in Herbology. Afterall, all of my other subjects grew difficukt and blurred into a nightmare of OWLS. Somehow, Herbology skipped all that. Somehow, Herbology was more simple, planting and recording seemed more peaceful than tedious.

"I understand, green and red, ohh! What an odd mix" she sprung her hand up all sarcastic, " I know old school pride makes you boys go stupid, but if you cannot believe in growth whilst we stand in a greenhouse for Merlin's sake, I will have you fail!"

She yelled the last part sternly. Every syllable so obvious and pronunciated.

I heard a collective gasp of awe when Madam Sprout spelled the shoots into the air, along with the soil; all floating heaven like avoiding but avoiding the students. A group of star-struck eyes all gawked at how the plants swam through gravity effortlessly, the sunlight gleaming on the water droplets that were previouslt deposited into the shattered pots. It was then, that she let the bomb drop.