Chapter 17: On the way to the Bow

"All of this for a little piece of paper," Danny mumbled, looking on the list in his hand.

"You yourself wanted nothing more than that," noted Serana.

"Yes, but you could ask for something else," Phantom continued, as they walked up the road.

The group had decided to replenish supplies in Whiterun before finally going to their destination. Understandable, they traveled lightly, and could cover enormous distances at the whim of the half ghost. It came in handy, Dave admitted. He would miss such opportunity in the future once the lad left. Fast travel, the half ghost called it. But the walk to Whiterun was on legs, because it wasn't far, it could be seen from their spot the second they had stepped out of the ruins.

As they were going there, Serana seemed to be extremely happy. The hood was gone and she bathed under the sun, her pale skin being protected from the shining orb. Danny had helped to renew the sunblock after they exited the tomb. It looked like a very intimate moment, but Phantom was quite calm about the audience, as it had been nothing shameful. Serana wasn't sure what to think, but she was still excited. But they both felt the bonding moment as they held each other. It was sweet.

The road went just fine, without any hinderances. The climate of central Skyrim was milder than its north, if you don't count the territory higher in the mountains, like where Korvanjund ruins lied. The snow beneath their feet was gone, replaced by pale green and hard grass. The road the group had taken was made well, considering it even existed. Stone path was hardy, and one cart passing by the team was a proof. The guy riding it, though...

"Hey, watch it!" He exclaimed angrily.

Serana glared at the dark skinned man in the traditional redguard outfit.

"You almost ran me over!" She responded.

There was also a girl in a hooded dress sitting near the man. She crossed her hands.

"So what? The cart can't be turned aside easily. Your fault. Now move."

Danny glanced at Dave, who was unsure. Phantom, however, obviously was going to take his girlfriend's side. He was about to say something, before his attention was caught by something. The girl's orange glowing eyes. It could only mean one thing. Serana seemed to have come to the same conclusion.

"I will move," she announced, suddenly her noble pride surfaced. "After you apologize, you little fledgling."

It seemed to stun the girl and her companion. Dave put a hand on his blade. The situation was getting heated.

"What do you..."

"Please, it takes a vampire to recognize one."

"You?"

The girl sized Serana up and down. It caught her off guard. To see a fellow vampire openly walking under the sun without a trace of discomfort...At first the girl thought that Serana was lying, but the eyes were a dead giveaway.

"Impossible," the girl mouthed.

"Oh, yes it is," Danny knew exactly what she implied. "A little bit of alchemy, you may say," Phantom pointed at his girlfriend.

"Babette, we've got to keep moving," the redguard urged his companion. "Don't get distracted."

"Just where a man can travel with a lass vampire?" Dave asked, glancing inside the cart. "Transporting a coffin, no less."