Chapter 2 | We Lit Baby Bunnies on Fire

AJ questioned that this girl even existed.

"What kind of name is Delilah Summers?" she asked, biting into her apple. Delilah laughed from across the cafeteria, causing us to look over. "She sounds like a book character."

"I don't know. I mean, her name sounded kinda pretty to me," I muttered. Lettuce dangled limply from my fork. Usually, hunger would be gnawing at my insides until lunch started, but something about the school food was dull today.

"Know what? I bet she's using a fake name!"

"AJ, don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not being ridiculous. She could have been part of a monarchy that got overturned by an evil dictator, so she came here for refuge under a protection program and hiding with your family. That's why her hair looks so nice!"

"This isn't the Princess Protection Program, AJ," I responded, glancing over my shoulder, "But she does have nice hair."

It's almost as if she knew we were talking about her; she looked right at us. I whipped my head around and cringed. God Nat, could you be any more creepy?

"I'm just saying. She transferred here a month ago out of the blue. No offense Natty, cause I know that you love our town, but who would move to the middle of Pennsylvania if they weren't looking to hide?"

"Who's hiding?"

A part of me desperately wished to fade out of existence as soon as Delilah plopped down next to me. She looked confused but still smiled anyway. I don't think she ever stops smiling.

"You," AJ deadpanned, tossing her apple core to the side.

"And what would I be hiding from?" Delilah asked, playing along.

"An evil dictator with a heavy accent and a certain knack for dramatic capes?"

Delilah laughed, but it sounded more forced than the one before. She was uncomfortable.

"Hey AJ, could you go find Jesse for me? He took my charger this morning, and I need it back before next period."

I could tell AJ didn't completely buy my excuse, but she hopped up from the table and sought out Jesse anyway. I kept an eye on her as she walked out of the cafeteria. Even though I was the one who sent her away, a part of me wanted her to come back; she acted as a safety net for me when I made things awkward.

"I'm sorry for her. She's got this overactive imagination-"

"Why do you apologize for everything?" Delilah asked.

"I- wha?" The words died on my tongue.

"You must have apologized like... five times since I've met you. Not everything is your fault."

"Oh, um, sorry?"

Delilah chuckled. It was short but genuine. "Again, no need to apologize," she assured. "Plus, I think that her imagination is endearing. Think of all the things she can do with it."

I shot back a shaky smile, praying that my face hadn't already turned into a tomato. Four half-moons indented into my palms as I clenched and unclenched my hands. Stay busy. Don't say something you'll regret.

Delilah cleared her throat. "So, I'm free after school today if you need help with anything else--essay or otherwise?"

I didn't have anything else I needed help with, but Delilah drew me in. She's fascinating to me. As AJ said, after all, nobody comes to boring old Pennsylvania unless they're hiding. Or hiding something.