[VOLUME 2] chapter 91: Fan Xian on the Move

"Why did I have to do anything?" Wu Zhu rarely asked such rhetorical questions. Ever since Fan Xian left Danzhou for the capital, he seemed to be even more mysterious, having never met up with Fan Xian until now.

Fan Xian became gloomy after realizing Wu Zhu was right. Even if Wu Zhu had helped raise Fan Xian, Fan Xian had no reason to demand anything in return. If anything, it was Fan Xian who was in Wu Zhus debt.

In response to Fan Xians silence, Wu Zhu said coolly, "I said this before; both Fei Jie and I have taught you for many years. If you cant take care of small matters like this, its your problem, not ours."

"I only learned one of them was a level eight master afterwards. You also said before that my true power is level seven, but my abilities are level three. I shouldnt be able to match that brute by any means." Fan Xian smiled uneasily. "You say its my problem, but dont you mind me getting killed?"

"Did you die?" A rare second rhetorical question from Wu Zhu.

Looking at the black blindfold, Fan Xian gasped. "You were following me all along?"

"Yes."

"Why didnt you interfere?" Fan Xian was suppressing his shouts of anger. "Those three guards died! Teng Zijing was hurt!"

"I dont care about the life of anyone but yours," Wu Zhu spoke without emotion. "Those people around you were gathered by yourself. If you want to have authority over their lives, then you must protect them, meaning those guards lives are your responsibility, not mine."

Once again Fan Xian fell into silence. Once again he knew Wu Zhu was right.

"I couldnt help you too much," Wu Zhu said. "In Danzhou, on the cliffs, I told you once: If Im with you in the capital, I will bring you nothing but trouble, troubles you definitely would not want to face."

Remembering how he had sheepishly told Wu Zhu "Ill protect you", Fan Xian smiled bitterly. He was, after all, kidding.

"You must remember, here in the capital, I will never stand by your side out in the open, unless you are dying. Or already dead," Wu Zhu continued, still devoid of emotion.

Fan Xian didnt understand what someone as strong as Wu Zhu was afraid of. But hearing how resolute he was made Fan Xian nod without any further discussion.

"Someones coming," Wu Zhu said quickly before disappearing into the darkness.

It was a guest, but not the one Fan Xian wanted to see at the moment. Li Hongcheng walked in with a gloomy face and sat down on Fan Xians bed without asking. With a suppressed voice, he moaned, "You heard, right? The envoy of Northern Qi wouldnt admit to anything, and those students almost trashed Honglu Temple."

Honglu Temple handled Qings foreign affairs, dealing with Northern Qi, Dongyi, various vassal states, and also that assassination attempt. Hearing that the place was almost trashed, Fan Xian smiled bitterly. "Those youths sure are hot-blooded. Well of course Northern Qi wouldnt admit it. If Qings people found out that another nation was able to send assassins to the capital so easily, Im afraid the two nations would never come to peace."

Li Hongcheng smiled bitterly. "Peace has already begun to break down. As per His Majestys order, that envoy from Northern Qi was kicked out, luggage and all."

Fan Xian laughed mockingly. "They deal with outsiders quickly."

Picking up on Fan Xians hidden meaning, Li Hong Cheng frowned. "Youve been recovering for the past few days. Some things werent convenient to say out loud."