[VOLUME 2] chapter 80: Searching for his Fiance

Within Count Sinan's study, there was no indication that a court plot was afoot.

Count Sinan smiled. Although this child was clever, he thought, he had little experience in political battles. It appeared that he would have to slowly teach him. "His Majesty has always reserved his judgement in matters. It is nothing to be concerned about. It is just that he does not wish to see himself quarrel with his son, so uses this matter to warn the Empress's followers."

The Empress's followers? There appeared to be the empress, the crown prince, the eldest princess... and perhaps the prime minister. "His Majesty should find a better way to settle this dispute. You said before, the property of the treasury is overseen by the Overwatch Council. Why has he chosen me?"

"The answer is simple." Count Sinan looked at Fan Xian as if he were looking from a far-off distance, and as if he were looking at someone else. "Its because I suggested it to him."

Fan Xian raised his brow. He knew his father would not explain further, so he changed the subject. "So why is Chen Pingping opposed?"

"Because he advised the Emperor not to choose you," said Count Sinan. "Chen Pingping has always felt that you should choose a different path."

The grand Director of the Overwatch Council was so concerned about him! Fan Xian suddenly recalled the stone tablet by the entrace to the Council chambers. He couldn't hold back the powerful suspicions he felt. "Why... by the gate of the Overwatch Council..."

"Why is your mother's name there? That's also simple. When the Kingdom of Qing was founded, there was no Overwatch Council. Your mother suggested it..." Count Sinan smiled. He seemed very happy. "So that is why we have the Overwatch Council."

Fan Xian's heart pounded fiercely. He opened his mouth, seemingly dazed for a long time. He thought of the phrase he knew very well from his previous life - "And God said, let there be light."And there was light!

They continued their discussion. Fan Xian finally knew what formidable powers the Ye family had held. When the Kingdom of Qing's military expeditions to the west and east had brought the kingdom to the brink of bankruptcy, it was the Ye family who had stabilized the nation's collapsing political system. And the Overwatch Council that the Emperor had used to "unite" the kingdom to the great shock of the bureaucracy was his mother's idea, and she had used her vast finances to support its establishment. It had all been handled and provided by his mother, all by herself.

No wonder her name was inscribed by the entrance to the Council. No wonder he had been under the surveillance of the Council since he was a child. Fan Xian looked at his father for a long time before finally shaking his head. "Father, I must tell you something. Please don't be angry."

"Don't worry. When have I ever been angry with you?" Count Sinan seemed to have guessed that he had something to say. There was a slightly odd smile on his face.

Fan Xian tried to find the best wording. Finally he thought of the right way to phrase it. He smiled bitterly. "I'm not sure... how my mother fell for you."

"Haha, don't forget your mother's name..." Count Sinan seemed happier than he had been in years. He waved Fan Xian out of his study.

Fan Xian walked into the courtyard. What did it all mean? Suddenly, he understood. Ye Qingmei, Ye Qingmei... scorning the men of the land.

"Did father not rebuke you?" asked Fan Ruoruo concernedly. She and Fan Xian were different after all. What they held most in common were their long eyelashes and fair skin.

Fan Xian smiled bitterly. "Rebukes are not the worst part of education. The worst part is having a long exchange of ideas. Parents always think that they should discuss ideas with their children, but they don't know how hard that is to endure... When you're young, you're caught in this shroud of banality."