1

In the Winter of the 69th year of the Yan State, the Minister of personnel was investigated.

Rumors said that he conspired together with others for the purposes of personal gain, and was culpable of
accepting bribes. Later, an entire chest full of treasures was found in the minister’s house, confirming that he was indeed guilty of corruption.

The man who was once a ZhuangYuan[1] in the past, had fallen into prison overnight.

Before the Spring of the following year, the emperor’s imperial edict arrived.

The edict stated that the scholar was a man with competence butof no virtue. His sinful crime was unforgivable and he was to be given a cup of poisoned wine to send him on his journey to the afterlife.

There was heavy snowfall on the day of the execution. The man was taken out of his prison cell, and after a lavish meal, the wine was presented. It was his favorite: Daughter Red.

The scholar lifted the wine cup and took a waft of its fragrance before he narrowed his eyes,

“My teacher once said that my character wasn’t suited to being a government official. It seems as though his words were true. However, with a fatuous emperor and
evil governors in power, it’s about time the era of the Great Yan State
ended.”

The official in charge was just about to burst into anger when the scholar tilted his head back and downed the entire cup of poisonous wine. Blood then oozed out of his eyes, nose, mouth and ears and he died on the execution ground.

Just before he passed away, the scholar gazed at the petal-like
snowflakes falling from sky and smiled. He softly mumbled
something from his mouth, but his words were heard by none.

"I’m done with being the number one scholar, I’ll just be a chef inmy next life. I miss the roast chicken from the Lotus Tower" .

That was Lin ShuYi’s last utterance.

Of course, the words he spoke once he awoke again did not count.

That’s right, Lin ShuYi woke up again in a completely foreign place.

The people here called this land China.

He appeared to still be in his original body, but his appearance seemed to have changed. His long waist length hair had disappeared and was now replaced by short, thin hair that hung in front of his forehead. His body had also shrunk, making him look like a
seventeen to eighteen year old youth.
Despite all this, he was still very happy to be alive.

There was no one else in the house he had awoken in. It was obvious that the house didn’t belong to a rich family for it was in tatters. After digging around for a few days, he gradually learned quite a few things about this world.

For example, the rectangular object that would display pictures with the click of a button was called a television. The item that could even project light at night was called a lamp. The piece of furniture that was even more comfortable to sit on compared to a bed was known as a sofa and so on…..

He gathered all this information from
those thick and thin books. Luckily, he could still understand the books here. Even though some characters looked different, the majority of them hadn’t changed. Since he was already here, he might as well take it easy.

Nothing would be more frightening to people than the fact that he was still alive. He had clearly died. He never wanted to experience the feeling of complete helplessness as his body gradually became colder and stiffer again.

It had been many days since he arrived here. He still hadn’t seen anyone other than himself. When he went outside, he saw quite a few objects moving to and fro whilst carrying people. They were known as cars. They travelled at an insanely high speed which gave him quite a fright when he first saw them.