CHAPTER 16

"Mom and dad are fighting again," I say as soon as I enter Jason's room.

"Yeah I heard.Why do you think I have headphones?" Jason replies.

"Jason this has to stop, its gone on too long...they literally just woke up," I shout.

"And what do you expect me to do huh?" he shouts back as he gets off the bed.

"Well I hate it when they fight," I retort refusing to back down.

"The whole world dosen't revolve around you Laura, you're just gonna have to deal with it,"

"I'm not gonna deal with anything; I will make things right," I say as I walk out of his room and slam the door behind me.

I make my way downstairs but halt at the sound of my mother's voice.

"I want a divorce," she says with finality.

"What? We can work through this. Think of our kids," my dad pleads.

"I am thinking of them, thats why I want this...because we can't pretend that everything is okay, it'll destroy them.'

"You think this won't?" he asks amazedly.

"You brought it on yourself," she says.

My dad tries to say something but halts as he looks in my direction regretfully.

"Thanks alot, the both of you," I say as I run up to my room, bumping Jason along the way.

I cry myself to sleep and wake up with a headache. 12:05PM. I squint my eyebrows as I feel i'm forgetting something. The date! Of course. I pick up the phone and dial Nick's number and he picks up after one ring.

"Hey Nick," I say casually.

"Hey, I was about to come pick you up,"

"Yeah i'm so so sorry but I have to raincheck. Alot of things came up and i'm not in the mood to go out right now," I say regretfully.

He hesitates a while then says "Its okay maybe another time,"

I hear a knock on my door then my mom's voice

"Laura I need to talk to you," she says pleadingly.

"You know what Nick? I'll be happy to go on the date with you. Pick me up in two hours," I say with enthusiasm.

"Thats great, because I packed all these food an-" he does not finish his statement as I impatiently cut him off.

I rush to the bathroom and have a quick shower. I then blowdry and straighten my hair then apply make-up. I glance at my wardrobe and go with short purple overalls with a white vest inside. I put on flats and grab my purse then give myself a glance over and head out of the door, to see my mom sitting close to it.

"Laur-" she starts but I cut her off.

"If you don't mind, i'm on my way out. We'll do this when I get back okay," I say as I walk past her. I go outside and check my phone 14:29PM. Perfect. I see Nick standing beside his car waving me over. I walk up to him as he smiles.

"Wow I can't say how awesome you look right now,"

"You just did," I say as I flush.

"Lets go," he says as we both get into the car and drive off.

***

"Isn't this an abandoned park?" I ask worriedly as Nick stops the car.

"Yeah. There's absolutely nothing to worry about, okay? we'll get enough privacy here," he says as he gets out.