Me

I am just starting my first year of high school. I am only 15. This does not make me unimportant, but I do not I believe any one else is less important than myself, or that their opinions matter any more than my own. This is just a clarification of that.

I am going to share with you my story and why I'm here. No, I will not go back and delete so I don't take any less time answering questions you may have before I start. If you still have any more questions for me, my email will be listed.            
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My name is Madigan Bish, and, despite being only fifteen, I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent and experienced when it comes to this topic.
Prior to this year, I have had many experiences with the biased opinions and actions of teachers. I won't say any names, but what I will say is this:
If you are a teacher and you can truthfully say you have done any of these things I say are negative, you are not doing what you should be as a teacher. Let me explain.
When I was very very young, it was plainly obvious from the start that I was different than the other children were. I was louder, hyper, more obnoxiously uncontrollable. I was a disaster. A monster, if you will. At least, that's how it felt. I knew since preschool that something was wrong with me. But I didn't know what. I didn't know why the other kids stayed away from me when I cried, or why the teachers gave up so easily. I didn't know why parents looked at me strange in the store when I would cry out of spite from causes even I didn't know. I didn't know why my parents were so upset when I hit someone with a stick for messing with another girl. I didn't know why she looked so horrified when I turned to her and offered her my hand. I didn't know why the teachers made such a big deal out of it. I was just defending her, wasn't I? I only did what my mind told me was right in that moment. The grown-ups told me to trust my gut, and that's what I did, wasn't it?
They took me to the doctor. I only barely remember that. All I know is they gave my mother a sheet to take into school and give the staff. I only understood why when I was in the first grade.
I was diagnosed with ADHD and Anxiety.
In kindergarten, everyone seemed afraid of me. But I managed to make some friends.
In first grade, I got sent to time-out in the front of the room for not doing my drills a couple hundred times.
In second grade, I was given a set of pills to take each morning and after lunch.
By third, I was used to the routine, but getting better at controlling my urges.
By fourth, I had quite a few friends and even some teachers I really liked.
By fifth, my improvement was undeniable, and I graduated my fifth and last year at Middleborough Elementary with a final quarter report card of all A's (except gym, which gave me a hard B), half the grade as my friend group, counted participation in two plays, some amazing teachers to thank for my improvement, a bouquet of flowers, and even a presidential award. And then middle school came. And all my problems I had from the beginning that I thought I'd gotten rid of came back to bite me.
So as you can see, I may only be barely passing as a teenager, but I've had my fair share of experiences with the problems of having ADHD. So, me, wanting to be the one to make a damn change if no one else is going to do it, and I'm here to help those actually concerned with this issue, (along with making notes for myself), understand the issues we face, and some things we as a community can do to help, a paragraph about the education system in my own words, and some possible acronyms for any groups that may be formed in honor of this. Thank you if you've read this far.