In My Words

"While I agree that some students are indeed driven by the idea of the end of the quarter grades and being able to see their success, to most other students around the US who have both diagnosed and undiagnosed ADHD and ADD, the grades just make school more stressful. The purpose of having an education is to learn. Not to be the best at it. However, this is exactly what grading systems are doing. The education system and its staff makes dealing with students with learning disabilities more about 'will not' whether than 'cannot'. It shows favoritism towards one key ingredient. Compliance. Schools eat it up. And 8/10 teachers are far more willing to work with compliant, easy students than those who need a little extra help. Many people confuse this with being cooperative, but I can personally assure you, they are similar, but not the same.
A child can be cooperative and still not be completely calm during a teachers instruction. They can feel this way and still be compliant. Cooperation is the act of two or more people working together as a whole to a common goal.
Compliance is the action or fact of complying to a wish or command.
One is about progress, and involves multiple people helping each other to one end goal. The other is about whether or not one is willing to do as asked the first time around.
Now apply this to a school scenario.
Say a teacher is in the middle of a lesson and hands out a paper to the class. The teacher then asks the students to begin working on the paper for the day's work. A student raises their hand to ask for help, and the teacher comes over to help. Now. In scenario 1, the student does as the teacher asks with no questions, and quietly does his or her work without any disobedience. This is compliance. In scenario 2, the student may ask for help, and may work alongside with the teacher to reach an end goal. This is cooperation. One scenario is how a problem should be handled between student and teacher, but requires a bit more work on both parts, while the other scenario is unhealthy for the mindset of a growing human, but much easier for, and much preferred by teachers.
The education system is very, very flawed, and it's about damn time we did something about it."