act. iii || scene iv || vaughn

11/03

__________________________________

Tape 3 | Side A

__________________________________

"Lastly,"

"Vaughn,"

"My sweet, sweet Vaughn."

"You were the epitome of falling at first sight,"

"It’s cliché,"

"But, it was different."

"Because now that time has passed and everything that had happened is nothing but dust in the wind, I realized that it couldn’t have been of love.

I fell into a trap the moment I saw you,

And the forthcoming demise when I met you.

It’s pathetic, I know.

But, it’s more pathetic when the looks of a person is the only first and key impression that we can have from them. It’s more pathetic when at first glance we’ll already be able to tell something or feel some type of way. And it’s pathetic when I found out you were only trouble – at the last minute.

August 4th.

It was the day I saw you,
And the beginning of what was to come.

First day of class  – rainy day. Everyone was cramped inside the room.

And you were sat in the middle,

Just as you’ve become the center of my life.

For the next couple of weeks, it would only have been strictly about school: presentations, performances, reports and sometimes card games.

And there was one time you teased me about singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star in front of the whole class because I hadn’t had any good song to sing for that particular presentation.

Later that night, I sang it over the phone for you.

Soon, it lead to sitting beside each other inbetween classes, pizza on 3 o’clock in the afternoon, waving goodbye after school, filming a spoken poetry for English class, sunsets by the bridge and catching each other’s stares across the room. You even signed up for the school debate team, which I was a part of and happened to put you up for a screening.

It was foolish, and young but sweet.

To me, it was momentary.

I made sure that I keep one eye open and not let the merriment be a façade covering up the cruelty and fear lingering by.
I know that behind the laugh and the promises, you were going to end up heaving in tears and breaking like a cracked mirror, wounding me as well.