Chapter 19

XIU POV

Priscilla and I agreed to meet at Matto Espresso, a bakery that's only about a five minute walk from the campus, so that we could work on a chemistry assignment together. I'm going to have to postpone my study session with Maxwell for a different day, which he seemed pretty upset about when I messaged him this morning, saying I wasn't going to make it. I felt bad, but hopefully he won't be too mad at me for much longer. Besides, chemistry requires more of my attention since I'm weaker at it than I am with sociology.

I'm still not sure what happened with Maxwell that day. He went from talking casually, smiling, and then after Priscilla left, it was like he was someone different. He seemed upset that I was even talking to her, and he stormed off as if I did something to offend him. If he really is upset about Priscilla and I studying, then I guess he'll just have to deal with that.

I push away the thoughts because Priscilla was supposed to be here about twenty minutes ago, so I've been sitting awkwardly by myself, chewing on my pistachio muffin. I've messaged her a few times, asking where she was and if she was going to make it, but each message didn't get a reply. I sigh, pulling out my textbook and turning on my laptop. If she can't make it, I might as well get some studying and get this assignment accomplished on my own.

I've come during a relatively slow period during the day, because there isn't an obnoxiously long line, and the employees aren't rushing around like crazy. Things have settled down, and everyone works in a calm and organized manner. This place slightly reminds me of the cafe that I worked at back home.

The soft music playing doesn't distract me, in fact, it eases me into my complete focus. My notes are color coded, making my notebook paper look as if I'm doodling instead of taking notes. Some problems are scribbled out due to a mistake I made, and I cannot erase them since I made the mistake of writing in pen.

As I make my way through the multiple assignment modules, I hear the sound of a broom, gently whisking against the floor. As I take a sip of my iced coffee, my eyes cannot help but look up. I notice the figure who's holding the broom and dustpan, and I can't help but instantly peer up at the person who's sweeping. I notice the familiar tattoo on the forearm of the young man, and as my eyes continue to travel upwards, those hazel eyes are once again captivating me, completely erasing whatever thoughts that were roaming my mind.

Those hazel eyes have been following me ever since I step foot in this city. The amount of times that we've ran into each other when we were least expecting it is starting to feel peculiar. But, simultaneously, I don't mind the chance encounters that we keep having.

"Levi." I stammer, surprised to see him.

"Wow, it's almost as if you're following me, or something." He sarcastically replies, smiling at his own comment.

"I guess I could say the same

"I guess I could say the same. What are you doing here?" I ask.

I internally smack myself for being so dense. It's quite obvious that he works here, it isn't like he's sweeping and wearing a waist apron and name tag for no reason. His hair looks somewhat scruffy, and underneath his eyes are very faint dark circles.