𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆

They had a coffee at, incidentally, their favorite coffee shop, Muggs

It wasn't until Mara finished the first draft of her article before suggesting they go somewhere where the drinks were a little harder. Reid directed her to O'Keefe's, a bar that the team went to often. 

They did a few shots together, both very eager to drown the day they had. "My boss is the biggest dick you could meet, I'm serious, if you thought you've seen control issues, you should meet him."

Reid chuckled, sipping on his drink. He usually wasn't one to drink but it helped him relax and he needs that after the day they had, especially around someone as beautiful as Avery.

"He might be a dick but he cares about me," Avery said to Reid, watching her intently. "I've known him since I was a freshmen in college."

"Did you always want to be a Journalist?" Reid asked her, setting his elbow on the table, his full attention on her.

She shook her head. "No, I wanted to follow in my dads footsteps and be an agent, much like the BAU but I- uh, didn't get into the academy."

"Really?" Reid asked in shock. "You're more than qualified to be in the bureau."

"Now, maybe," she chuckled, taking a sip from her beer. "But before, I wasn't."

"Why not try again?"

She shrugged, meeting his eyes she originally thought were brown but up close, she could see they were hazel. "I started writing, realized that's what I wanted to do."

"I've read a lot of your articles, you're very good at what you do."

She smiled at him. "I've read a lot of your case files, you are too."

Avery wanted to lean in and kiss him then, despite the fact she's only known him since this morning. Every time she leaned closer to him, she just wanted to mesh her lips against his. She couldn't help but wonder what they felt like against hers.

Reid noticed. Of course he noticed, he was a profiler. He noticed her eyes flickering from his eyes to his lips, lingering before meeting his eyes again. It wasn't until Reid suggested they got to his apartment, because she was too drunk to drive, of course.

"Oh, Spencer," she chuckled, standing up and grabbing her bag. "There's a beautiful service called Uber."

"Yeah, but do you know how many of Uber drivers end up murdering their-"

"Let's do this again sometime," she smiled at him, hugging him even though she knew he was weird about germs. "Call me when you get back from your next case."

As if on cue, his phone started ringing in his pocket and he pulled it out and answered it, furrowing his eyebrows at the the odd number. "Hello?"

Avery turned around in curiosity to see who he was talking to, only to find his face twisting into a mix of fear and confusion. "What? Oh, god. Um, stay where you are, I'm calling an ambulance."

She went back up to him and opened her mouth to ask what was wrong but he grabbed her hand and pulled her into a cab he hailed, directing the driver to some motel on the bad side of town.

"Spencer, what's wrong?"

"Nathan's at a hotel with a prostitute," he said, running an anxious hand through his hair. "He cut his wrists."

Avery covered her mouth in shock, reaching out and taking his hand. "It's not your fault, don't even think about that."

He sighed, grateful she knew what he was thinking, clutching her hand tightly. They arrived at the motel, both her and Reid running to the room where Nathan was at.

Reid opened the door and there he was, laying on the bed, blood pouring from his wrists.

Reid pulled the scarf from around Avery's neck, directing her to tie it around his wrist while pulling his belt from his pants and tying it tightly around the other one.

He held the two objects on the cuts, trying to stop the blood flow. Blood was covering both of their hands when the paramedics got there, directing Reid to move.

Avery set a hand on Reid's shoulder and pulled him away, the paramedics taking over.

"He set your car on the table before he cut himself, like a suicide note." Avery said. 

Reid shook his head and Avery wrapped her arms around him, a hand going to the back of his head. He was shaking in her arms and Avery felt bad for him but his arms wrapped around her waist and hugged her tightly, letting out a shaky  breath.

The BAU team arrived and was talking to the prostitute, Avery was sitting on the edge of am ambulance that stuck around, cleaning the blood off Reid's hands.

"He's going to make it." Hotch said to the two.

Reid let out a relieved sigh and grab a hand over his face, blood marking his cheek. Avery wiped it away, Hotch noticing the difference in their behavior.

"You saved his life." Avery said to him.

Reid nodded and stood up. "I need a shower and sleep."

The two stood on the sidewalk, hailing a cab. Avery got a cab before him, Reid thinking about making a mark about her gender that got it for her but she only smiled and waved at him.

"Promise to call me?"

He smiled, waving back. "I promise."