𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒔𝒊𝒙

Cases passed

Cases passed. Weeks passed. Reid and Avery only grew closer, building their friendship. Avery had even become Reid's wing-woman outside their relationship. When they went out with the team, she got him to talk to other women, get their numbers. It was only effective thirty-five percent of the time.

Penelope scheduled a dinner as Rossi's house and everyone attended, even Avery, who just finished her last day on the job. Rossi made everyone dinner and Avery poured the wine. They gathered around the table and talked and laughed, enjoying a moment of pure happiness.

"How many times have you been in love?" Garcia asked Rossi.

"Count the wives, Penelope." Avery teased.

"What about you?" Garcia asked Avery.

"Why would I ever want to fall in love?"

"Why would I?" Avery chuckled but everyone looked at her, wanting a serious answer. "I don't want my happiness to depend on whether a person gives me their attention or not. I don't want to stay up late wondering whether he is thinking about me. I don't want to cry over someone who may not care. I don't want to stare at my phone screen waiting for a text. I don't want to give anyone the power to destroy me."

Everyone was silent for a moment but Avery only took a sip from her wine glass. Morgan chuckled to break the awkwardness. "I don't know, Walsh, love is in the air."

"Love is in the air?" Reid spoke up. "That's theoretically impossible. Nitrogen, Argon, Oxygen, and Carbon are in the air."

Avery sighed, reaching over and squeezing his cheek between his forefinger and thumb. "Oh, honey, you need to learn social cues."

Everyone shared a laugh and Avery continued making jokes. "I think I might sign pretty boy up for eHarmony."

"You better not," Reid retorted, shaking his head. "You are aware that three-point-six percent of the people are serial killers, seventy-eight point two percent have foot fetishes, sixteen point nine are potential UnSubs, and fifty point one percent aren't even really women, right?"

Avery shook her head, facepalming herself. "Social cues, Spence."

"I want to raise a toast," Rossi said. "To us. But also to our gone-too-soon media liaison. Avery, you are one talented young lady that we've had the privilege to work with. Thank you for working with us and know you're welcome here anytime."

"Thank you." Avery smiled as everyone raised their glasses to her.

"All right.." Rossi smiled. "Let's put on some music!"

Morgan grabbed Avery's hand and spun her around as they headed to the patio to dance. 

"So.." Morgan said into her ear. "You and pretty boy?"

Avery chuckled. "We're just friends."

"Yeah, right," he chuckled. "We read behavior for a living. We can read you two."

"We're just friends."

Morgan stepped back as Reid cut him, setting a hand on her waist and pulling her closer to him. She wrapped both arms around his neck and met his eyes, a smile growing on her lips.

They swayed back and forth, Reid's hazel eyes looking into her blue ones. "eHarmony?"

"I was kidding," she chuckled, playing with the hairs on the back of his neck. "You know that."

"I have this urge to just pull you into Rossi's guest bathroom-"

She covered his mouth with hers and set her head on his shoulder. She closed her eyes and inhaled his familiar scent. 

Reid ducked his head, his lips close to her ear. "They're all watching us. I think Garcia just took a picture."

Avery laughed as Reid stepped backwards, spinning her around. 

"Why don't we head to your apartment?" Reid whispered, glancing at the audience.

Avery raised her eyebrows but smirked. "I'll leave first, wait twenty minutes and meet me there."

Reid was about to lean in and kiss her by instinct but he quickly shook it off. 

Avery hugged everyone goodbye, smiling at Reid before disappearing into the night.

Reid followed instructions, leaving twenty minutes later. Morgan and Garcia left before him so it was suspicious. He parked at her apartment and went upstairs, tripping going up the stairs.

He threw open the door, already pulling off his clothes when his eyes landed on her. She was laid across the bed, lingerie-clad body. He pulled his shirt over his head and smirked. "Shit, Avery."

She got up and walked over to him, sliding her hands down his chest. "Hello, Spencer."

He ran his hands over the fabric of her outfit, biting down on his bottom lip. She stood on her toes and pressed her lips against his.

He hooked his hands in the bottom of her thighs and lifted her up before dropping her onto the bed, smirking at her.