Daisy Johnson: Age 12

Mary Sue was hiding again. It seemed to be a normal thing these last couple of years. Moving around wasn't too bad in the beginning but now it was starting to get annoying.

She was supposed to be on a field trip. She could see her class from where she stood a bit down the street. Turning a corner, she started to run farther away from the group.

She stopped at a corner to catch her breath when she saw something a way off. Mary Sue looked up at the street sign in front of her and the buildings around her.

"This is familiar." She whispered under her breath and moved closer to the crosswalk, looking for the one thing she never forgot.

The big oak tree she sat under when she made her first friend. The thought made her smile and as soon as the light turned green, she ran across the crosswalk and took a seat under the branches.

The tree was bigger now that it was six years ago. The branches weren't quite low enough for her to reach, but she knew if she jumped high enough, she could probably climb up there.

She sat there for a long time, watching the people go by. At one point, Mary Sue took out a sandwich from her backpack and sat back against the tree to eat it.

She was looking through the branches at the clouds when she saw a shape in the sky. Smiling, she leaned back a little further, looking for more shapes through the branches. She munched on her sandwich and wondered if her little friend still came here. Mary Sue couldn't quite remember his name, but she remembered that he was kind and he called her "his sky friend".

She had just finished her sandwich when she heard a thud from the other side of the tree. Mary Sue stood up quickly and peeled around the tree.

"Woah dude! You fell so hard," a boy about her age was doubled over in laughter while another boy got up slowly off the ground. The boy groaned as he sat up, giving Mary Sue a better look at him from the other side of the oak tree.

The boy who had fallen had shaggy blonde hair that kept falling in his eyes. He laughed as he got up from the ground, his friend turning around to join a group of boys about the same age a few feet away. The other boy, the blonde one pushed the hair out of his eyes.

"Oh hey," the boy had turned around, getting a clear look at Mary Sue behind him.

"Uh, are you okay?" Mary Sue came out from behind the trunk of the tree, taking a few steps toward the boy.

He gave a nervous laugh and scratched the back of his neck. "Oh yeah I'm fine."

Mary Sue nodded, picking up her backpack. Now that her quiet spot had been disturbed, she figured it was time to go.

"Are you here by yourself?" The boy sounded shocked.

"Yeah," Mary Sue looked down at her shoes, now realizing there was a hole torn in the side of her left sneaker.

"Well that's okay. You wanna come hang out with me and my friends?"

Mary Sue shook her head. "That's okay. I kind of like it under here. The sky is pretty between the branches." She looked up, smiling at the clouds as they rolled by.

The blonde boy smiled. "Yeah. I always liked looking for shapes in the clouds."

"Me too." Mary Sue finally took a look at the boy's face, something familiar about it.

"Lincoln! C'mon man let's go!" The group of boys was waving wildly in their direction. The sound of his name made her perk up. Why did that name sound so familiar?

"I gotta go. Have fun looking at the sky!" The boy, Lincoln, ran off towards his friends sending a wave back at Mary Sue. She sent a small wave back before settling back down under the tree.

Was that him? Was that her sky friend? She looked back up through the branches. She always did love the way the sky looked from right here...