001

This was it.

The famed Beacon Academy, one of the most prestigious schools to study and train in the kingdom of Vale.

Heaving a sigh, you pinched your pose, walking down the pavement along with all your peers who were attending for the first time.

At least here, you felt like you could finally get a breath of fresh air... somewhat.

"I'll.. keep this brief," a man, known as the Beacon Academy school's headmaster began, slightly pushing up his glasses. "You have traveled here today in search of knowledge -- to hone your craft and acquire new skills. And when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people."

The sides of your lips turned upwards at that-- how ridiculous. You found that quite amusing.

"But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy; a need of purpose, direction." You couldn't help but scoff at that. "You assume knowledge will free you of this-- but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far.

"It is up to you, to take the first step."

Walking away, the woman who once stood behind him stepped forward to continue where he left off. Glynda Goodwitch.

"You will gather at the bar room tonight. Tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready," she simply stated. "You're dismissed."

'Tomorrow' came by in no time whatsoever.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest," Ozpin informatively spoke to all of you who currently stood atop the cliff.

Yes, it was time for initiation.

"Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumours about the assignment of teams," Glynda brang up, and you internally nodded. You kind of wished that you wouldn't get put in a team though. "Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion.

"Each of you will be given teammates. Today."

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon, so it is in your best interest to be paired with someone whom you can work well."

You furrowed your brows at the headmaster's words, taking a quick glance to the left and right of you.

It's not like you knew anybody here.

"That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing, will be your partner for the next four years."

You rolled your eyes inside your head.

Oh great.

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way.

"Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die."

You heard a blonde nervously chuckle before audibly gulping.

"You will be monitored and graded for the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene.

"You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path, containing several relics. Each pair must choose one, and return to the top of the cliff.

"We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately.

"Are there any questions?"

You weren't surprised to see the blonde boy raise his hand, "Yeah. Um, sir--"

"Good," Ozpin cut him off, paying him no mind. "Take your positions."

Getting into a suitable stance for your take-off, you readied yourself for the launch.

"Uh, sir..." The same couldn't be said for him, however. "I've got, um... a question.

"So this landing.. strategy thing, uh--, wh-- what is it, you're like, dropping us off or something?"

"No," you resisted the urge to snicker, constantly repeating in your head 'don't laugh'. "You will be falling."

"Oh, I see," the blondie momentarily scratched his head, looking up into the sky in wonder, "So like, did you hand out parachutes for us?"

"No-- you will be using your own landing strategy."

"Uh huh." Unfortunately, you couldn't listen to the rest of that, might I add quite one-sided conversation, as you were hoisted into the air.