46

Braxton barged in to my room wearing long dark brown hair. I laughed at the sight of him in the wig. He made a face.

“Why are you wearing that?” I asked.

He took it off and situated it on my head instead.

“Actually, you’re going to wear it. We’re going out tonight and we have to disguise ourselves.”

“What?”

“Just what I said. We’re going out to the bar tonight and we don’t want people to recognize us.”

I glanced at the clock. We had already eaten dinner and I had been planning on getting ready for bed soon. He patted me on the head.

“Meet downstairs in twenty?”

I didn’t argue with him. Instead, I dug through my suitcase, trying to find something worth wearing. I finally settled on a black lace dress. I considered myself in the mirror after doing my make-up. Darker hair didn’t actually look that bad on me and it covered up the recognizable purple. Downstairs, I almost didn’t identify Jude and Braxton. Braxton was wearing a blond wig and a big blond mustache. Jude was wearing a straight black haired wig and big glasses. Both were dressed in their signature tight black jeans and leather jackets, but even that didn’t give them away. They looked nothing like the rock stars they were. Jude’s gaze softened when he saw me and I had to look away.

“You look great, sis!” Braxton said.

We decided to be as conspicuous as possible and took Jane’s car to the bar. I had almost forgotten how to drive since I was so used to people driving me places. On the car ride there, Braxton tried to create conversation, but neither Jude nor I had much to say. I hated having him in the same car as me. I was constantly reminded of all the angry words that had passed between us.

“You really think this is going to work?” I asked as we made our way into the packed bar.

Braxton shrugged, “I guess we’ll find out.”

They hadn’t been without security in a long time. I didn’t want to find out what would happen if they were discovered. Thankfully, the bar was dim inside. People were everywhere and it smelled like fresh sweat. Braxton led us over to the bar where he bought us a round of shots.

“To you guys, being awkward as fuck!” he said, clinking our glasses together.

Jude met my eye and I quickly looked away. I ordered a drink from the bartender, hoping that it would take some of the awkwardness and anger away from the night. Just seeing Jude awakened so many emotions in my system. A man with a long dark beard approached me.

“How would you feel about dancing with me?” he asked.

I happily agreed, ready to get my mind off everything. I waved goodbye to Jude and Braxton as he led me out to the dance floor. Turns out, bearded man was a much better dancer than I was. He had me swinging and shaking and doing moves I didn’t even know existed. It was fun. When we tired, he took me back to the bar and bought me a drink. It was one of those fishbowls that was full of alcohol.

“If you can drink that whole thing, I’ll be impressed. I’ve never seen another girl get through it,” he said.

I was ready for the challenge and heartily sipped down a big gulp.

“Do you often challenge girls to drinking fishbowls?” I asked him.

He winked, “Just pretty ones.”

Someone nudged me from behind and I turned to see Braxton.

“You guys looked good out there,” he said.