53

I have a feeling I'm going to get some major feedback from this chapter! ;)

***

The label threw a party for Elixir after they walked away with two additional Grammys that night – best pop song and song of the year for their breakout hit. There were lots of celebrities in attendance, including Carly, Marina and Hard Brew. Indy, Rachel and I found a safe corner to stay in. Jane had taken Harper home for the night and I felt awkward without the two of them and their ease in social situations. Being around so many celebrities really threw me off.

After we went over the whole show together, the three of us started a drinking game of taking a shot whenever someone came up to us and asked us if it was true we were dating Chase/Matt/Braxton. It ended up being five shots, which was almost too much for me to handle. The night turned blurry and everything suddenly seemed much funnier. Rachel, Indy and I were practically dying with laughter when someone fell on the dance floor.

“Hey, babe, I think it’s time for us to go,” Matt said, coming to get Rachel.

She made a face to us, but got up to go with him. She gave us both hugs and sloppy kisses on the cheek before leaving. Indy sighed and leaned back on the couch we were sitting on.

“I’m SO drunk,” she said.

“Think they’ll remember us anytime soon?” I asked, motioning towards where the band was chatting it up with a famous rapper.

She scoffed, “Yeah, right.”

As if he had known we were talking about him, Braxton made his way over to us.

“Once the party winds down we’re going out for breakfast,” he told us, kissing Indy on the cheek.

“Breakfast?” I asked, checking my watch.

Sure enough, it was almost four in the morning. We had been partying all night, which was a first for me. Braxton patted us both on the heads.

“Want me to grab you two some water?” he asked.

It was just like Braxton to be the only one not drunk at a party. He wandered off towards the bar.

“Thyme? A word?”

I looked up to see that Jude had joined us. He looked all stormy, which was not a good sign. I exchanged a look with Indy. She giggled.

“Just one?” I asked him.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me up.

“Hey!” Indy protested.

I silenced her with a look. Whatever Jude had to say, it clearly couldn’t wait. He dragged me off to a private section of the club that was meant for couples. It was dimly lit and there were couches already on them, making out. He moved me towards the farthest corner, where no one could see us.

“What is so urgent?” I asked him.

He was close enough that I could smell the alcohol on him as well. He stepped closer to me and I pressed my back against the wall, feeling confined.

“Jude…?” I asked.

Before I could say anything more, his lips crashed down on mine. All of my repressed feelings burst from deep inside of me at once. It suddenly felt hard to breath as something electric passed between us. I had forgotten how Jude’s lips felt, how they tasted. Everything about him was familiar, but also so new and exciting. A warmness I quickly realized was desire flooded me.

But then… I remembered all the mean words that had passed between us recently. I pulled away, but Jude wasn’t having any of it. He pressed me further against the wall and kissed me harder. I felt trapped and tried to struggle away from him and the memories that were threatening to come back. He held me tight and I was reminded of being held down on a bed. I realized with a sense of horror that he was trapping me on purpose, trying to bring back bad memories. He knew my weakness and he was taking advantage of it, so much for actually having feelings for me. The betrayal I felt sent a surge of anger through me. I bit down on his lip, hard. He yelped and backed away, instantly freeing me. I took off, running from the terrible memories that were now in my head. I couldn’t believe that my best friend, my daughter’s father, had just tried to hurt me in the worst way possible, and succeeded.