Chapter Ninety Six

It was a normal evening on the 29th of January, and James Potter was slightly panicking

It was a normal evening on the 29th of January, and James Potter was slightly panicking. He wanted to do something big. To make it special. It was the first year he get to do something without her telling him off. They were together.

"I just want to plan something special. Not just give her a gift and say happy birthday." James whined as he lay on top of the covers on his bed, staring at the ceiling as he pondered the ideas going through his mind.

"You are aware that Lily's birthday is tomorrow right?" Remus asked with a raised eyebrow.

"In two hours actually, but that's a technicality." Sirius mumbled as he focused on the cube in his hands staring at it in wonder. It was something Nadia had been trying to solve from the start of the semester. Apparently you were supposed to make all the coloured squares to match, but he wasn't sure how to do it.

"You're cutting it close mate." Remus continued after Sirius' interruption.

"I know I am. I just want it to be perfect; nothing I've come up with so far is perfect." James explained in a desperate tone just as the door of their dorm room opened up and a person entered the room.

"What has to be perfect?" Nadia asked as she jumped onto Sirius bed, instantly placing her head on his shoulder while her arm draped over his stomach. He on the other hand remained focused on the Rubik's Cube in his hands, especially once she started giving him suggestions on which tiles to turn.

"James' big plan for Lily's birthday." Peter stated making Nadia turn to James with an excited look on her face.

"Ooh, what do you have planned?" She asked curiously, wanting to know what surprises he had in store for the red headed girl.

"Nothing!" James exclaimed in irritation making Nadia's smile drop, replaced by a sympathetic frown.

"You know she doesn't need much right. She'd be happy just to spend time with you. Why are you so stressed about it?" Nadia asked curiously, and the question made even Sirius finally take his eyes of the cube to look at James as they all waited for his answer.

"It's just... It's the first time we're actually celebrating a birthday together. After such a long time of liking her and getting turned down, I don't want to disappoint her or do something wrong." James said quietly. He didn't want to admit it, but sometimes he still worried about the idea of Lily changing her mind about being with him.

"Oh James," Nadia smiled at him as she stood from Sirius' bed and moved to sit beside her friend, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "Whatever you do, she won't be disappointed. She'll be happy you did something for her, whatever that something is." She reassured him as he leaned his head on her shoulder while letting out a small sigh.

"Just do something she likes, she'll surely appreciate you taking the time for her interests." Peter suggested with a smile.

"She has been talking about watching some of her favourite Muggle movies with me." James remembered Lily's list of movies she loved, how she believed it to be a crime not to watch them. "But how do I do that here? It's not like Hogwarts has a Muggle theatre."