CHAPTER 13

Everyone was in high spirits after the fight. None of the Diaelee said much to Mireen or the others much but they were friendly, giving her as much food as she could eat. A few of the men dragged thick branches from the edge of the jungle to an already huge bonfire. They brought more and more wood until there was there was a pyre taller than they were. Mireen sat quietly by Analie, Bannon, and Rizu; watching the flames grow higher and higher. Now with no one to run from the thoughts of her family crept back into her mind. The sound of her brother's laugh; her father's smile. The feel of the knife in her hand as she took the life of their killer. She tried to ignore them and summon another ball of water like Jazun had taught her but she couldn't clear her mind. Why had she killed that woman? Why wouldn't that feeling leave her?

As the evening went on the camp quieted down until only the crackle of the buring wood was heard. Mireen was so lost in her own mind she didn't notice the change until the Diaelee began to gather around the bonfire. They gathered slowly, talking almost half an hour before they were all in a circle around the slowly dying fire. Once together the Diaelee put their arms out on each other's shoulders, not moving otherwise. Mireen stood up with curiosity, looking at the aliens as they closed their eyes and sat silently.

"What are they doing?" Analie asked, adjusting herself to lean up against Bannon.

"I haven't foggiest idea." Rizu replied.

Mireen sat back down, watching Neee from across the camp as he emerged from his father's cave. She expected him to go over to the other Diaelee but he walked around the edge of the circle and headed over towards her. He came over and sat down a few feet away, smiling a tooth filled grin at her before resting his sword down at his feet. The only clothing he wore was a pair of pants that had been totally covered with what looked like treated black leaves. His bare torso was covered with scars old and new, the scales around the wounds broken and white.

"The ship's cells are charging." Neee said while staring out at the bonfire, switching the subject before anyone could reply. "How's the food?"

"Spicy." Mireen answered, smiling back at him.

"Yes, thank you for everything." Analie said, leaning forward so she could see him.

"Certainly." Neee replied. "There was really no other outcome, my father loves elementals. He even came to this planet to be around your culture but the Loordanians wouldn't give him work. He spoke out against the intolerance for as long as he could but no one listened except other Diaelee. Eventually he took everyone that had flocked to him and he came here."

Nee laughed, picking up his sword and setting it back down.

"I haven't seen my father fight in years." He continued. "Him and Jazun. I never thought anyone would beat my father. I've never met anyone with wings before either."

"What are they doing?" Analie asked again, this time getting an answer from Neee.

"Honoring Zetar and Nir, the Diaelee that died in the jungle today."

"What was that thing that killed them? Jazun didn't do anything when he hit it with that blast." Bannon spoke up, having to clear his throat.

"It was a Raijleon at one point. A proud creature." Nee replied sadly.

"What happened?"

Mireen looked past the bonfire to see Jazun appear from one of the tiny homes, the Diaelee in the black dress on his arm. When they passed the bonfire she left his side and knelt down at the circle. The other Diaelee scooted over and let her in without a word while Jazun walked over to the rest of his companions.