Winter

"Go, go, go!" My lungs expand, but still not enough air seems to get in. Blood curdling screeching echoes from the dark woods behind me, and I try my best not to panic. "Winter, to your right!" A deep voice screams getting farther and farther away. I look at my right through my peripheral vision, and see a dark figure feet away from me. I quickly sprint to the left, trying to catch them off guard, while my lungs slowly become heavier and heavier. The screeching begins again, but this time closer to the point where I feel it's breath. "Jin!" I yell, the sound echoing for help from my fellow party. No one answers and I let out a soft curse under my breath.

A beep rings and in the corner of my vision is a number 10. "Yes!" I scream. Still running, I begin to slow my pace, and attempt to outrun the creature in a zig-zag pattern. One last time the screech echoes, and seeming even closer.

5.

I sprint to my right... Left... Right... A screech erupts from the creature and this time a giant white claw resembling a disfigured human hand hits the ground right beside me, and I begin to panic. 4 more seconds. I huff, out of breath, and my pace begins to slow down, even though I try to sprint. My legs sting, but I let them for the time being. Three. The darkness blinds me, and I take as much notice that I can of the dark forest all around me. Just me, and the monster.

Inhale through your nose.

Exhale through your mouth.

I tell myself to breathe over and over again, but it seems to lead me nowhere. I don't know where I'm going, and all I have to do is wait two more seconds before I can stop. A hand interrupts the left side of me, and it's soft but coarse skin touches the side of my leg. The touch gave just enough force for me to fall. I stumble, and my legs have been wrapped by the creature before I can scream. One more second. I glance off into the distance hoping I can see something in this second I have left. I see Jin running towards me, happily, and I grin back. He was always arrogant like that.

Zero. The world turns dark, and I awake in a familiar place.