Training

The schedule is routine now, and he sighs as one of the humans opens the door to his cell. He doesn't open his eyes, though. He's exhausted from the experiments yesterday and he doesn't really feel like moving. He winces as the last of his ribs fuses back together with a click. He'd been waiting hours for that to finish healing.

It's the bigger human this time, he realizes as he scents the air, and it's dragging in a goat. Goat isn't his favorite, but after so many years of starving, he's not about to get picky. The human lets the carcass drop with a huff, and shuffles around some more doing who-knows-what.

After a few moments, the smell of the goat really hits him, and his stomach decides to make itself known. He's been needing to eat more frequently since coming to this place, and he knows it probably has to do with the hefty tax the humans have been putting on his regeneration abilities. If only he could see the sun from this smaller room...

He peels his eyes open, fighting the urge to curl up and go back to that bizarre unconscious state. When he does, he locks eyes with the human-who is strangely enough still in his cell-and the human jerks back, startled by his gaze, its feet catching on the animal's legs and sending it tumbling.

He watches as the human is sent crashing into the door that bisects the transparent wall, pushing it closed with its large body.

A firm click echoes through the room.

There's a moment where neither of them move, the human watching his movements warily, and him watching the human's with interest. He's never seen the door opened from this side of the wall before, and he's intently curious to see how the human does it. There's no lever on this side to turn like there is on the outside, which has so far hampered his escape. But if he can just learn the trick...

The human turns its head to look at the closed door with wide eyes before jumping into motion. Its hands skate the surface, feeling along the edges of the door and wedging its fingers in the miniscule crack. He frowns at the sight. He's already tried that and it doesn't work.

The human bangs its fist against the door loudly and opens its mouth to release a breathy wheeze. He's definitely tried that.

It's only when the human whips around, eyes wild with fear and one hand going to the blade on its hip, that realization hits him. There is no way out from this side. The human is trapped in here with him.

And the other humans are nowhere in sight.

This....could be interesting.

The smell of fear oozes out of the human but its eyes stay firmly on him. Its weapon gleams in the harsh light, flashing dangerously, and he knows that there are many ways this encounter could proceed. He could stay far away from the human and simply wait for the others to fetch it without confrontation. That would be a smart move, since he doesn't know if the human's reflexes are as sharp as its sword.

Or...

He could take advantage of the opportunity this presents...

He lunges.

The human exhales sharply, jumping to the side and bringing its sword up to slash at him. The swing is hasty and uncoordinated and only barely slices through his shoulder, a small trickle of steam leaving the wound as it heals. He follows the human and it tries to swing again, but he catches the larger creature's arm on its way down.