Secret Keeper

Hundreds of thin cables tug at the Berserker as it squirms, trapped in place. Its right hand is pinned in place over its weak spot and Levi's fingers tighten on his reins at the information that simple action brings. That one motion means it's aware of its own weakness and can take steps to protect it.

"Captain Levi!" Arlert cries, swinging down to land beside his mount. "What are you doing!?"

"Capturing a Titan, what does it look like?

"You can't!"

Levi turns to pin the soldier with a withering glare.

"I...I just mean..." Arlert looks up at the Titan before turning back to him. "The other Titans try to kill him. If he's trapped he won't be able t-"

"I was informed on the way," he dismisses. "I've got it covered."

"Captain," Ackerman says, sidling up to Arlert and laying a hand on the blond's arm. "We were told you were going in for surgery." She glances at his bound leg with zero subtlety.

"Yeah they tried to tell me that, too." The splint he'd made them give him instead itches fiercely. "Under the circumstances, I'm sure you can guess why I declined." Mikasa nods while her foster-brother dithers, glancing back at the Berserker every half a second.

The soldiers have already begun slipping the thick, black collar around the Berserker's neck and buckling it into place. From there, they'll be able to attach the various straps and bars needed to transport a Titan out of a city with narrow roads and tall buildings. Once they get on a more open path, they'll load the fifteen-meter onto one of the Titan carts they use for transportation of live specimens to HQ. Or in this case, to a special, secret location where they'll learn all they can from the Titan without having to worry about zealots or anarchists.

The Berserker twitches as the transport equipment is attached to it. He almost feels bad for it. It did just save nearly the entire human race, after all. But that's exactly why they need to pop the sucker open and see what makes it tick.

If they're lucky, they might just be able to turn this Titan into the greatest weapon mankind could ever hope for.

"What are you going to do with him?" Arlert asks, hands clasping and unclasping in front of himself unconsciously.

Levi just stares at him. He's a soldier of the Survey Corps, he shouldn't need it spelled out for him. "We're going to experiment on it."

The trek to the old Survey HQ only takes a few hours. Their group is small, comprised only of those needed at the compound, while the rest-including Erwin and half of the rookies-head back to basecamp to get back to work. They ride hard through the night, only stopping for piss breaks.

Titan transport is always a pain in the ass, but at least the old HQ is closer to Trost than the new one. It would have been an even bigger pain in the ass to haul the Titan all the way there from the southern gate.

Levi wants to be excited. He finally caught the Berserker, he should be over the moon. They might be able to turn this single Abnormal into humanity's greatest asset. But...

Blue-green eyes crinkle under the force of a wide smile in his memory.

They'd lost a lot of soldiers.