Ch. 6 The Healing Process

After taking Thomas to the nurse and explaining what happened, John went back to class and explained what happened to Mr. Roger and showed him the photo, which he sent to himself through Thomas' phone.  Mr. Roger reviewed the message and told John to send the message to him so they could get it taken care of, "If anything," he told him, "cyberbullying will not be accepted around here."  Jim seemed more upset while the others were only sorry for Thomas (trying to avoid cussing even though he wanted to so bad), "Dang, Herc.  The next time he tries that again," he punched an imaginary Hercules, "Bam! He won't know what hit him."

After this, Thomas' slow healing process began.  After Thomas came back, the nurse instructed John and Phoebus that the best way to help Thomas was to spend more time with him and encourage him to talk about his life back home.  Once John and Phoebus shared this with the rest of the gang, they set to work.  John and Phoebus made a note of taking Thomas out for dinner once every week and having a movie night.  Once, as they were over at Philip and Pinocchio's dorm playing Lord of the Rings: War of the North, Phoebus decided to be funny and asked Thomas, "Hey kiddo, truth or dare?"  Thomas thought for a second, "Truth?"

"When was a time you did something funny, but you would never post it on Youtube?"

Thomas thought for a minute, knowing his answer had to be a really good one.  The others paused the game and listened eagerly for his answer.  Finally, with a smirk growing on his face as he thought it over, he told them, "Okay, prepare yourselves for laughs aplenty.  I just hope you guys went to the bathroom before this."  The others giggled and listened intently,  

"I lived 'A Christmas Story'.  It was a week before the new school year and, I live proof, every family has a kid who won't eat.  My kid sister, Caroline, hasn't eaten willingly for the past three years.  Only, she doesn't play with her food, she just sits and stares at it.  So, my dad sees her not eating again for the millionth time and is all like, 'You better start eating or I'll give you something to cry about.'  Of course, she didn't start eating, she pouted at him."

Jim smirked, "Pouted? It couldn't have been that bad."  Thomas raised an eyebrow, "You want proof?" Instead of waiting for an answer, he gave a perfect demonstration of what his sister's pouty face looked like.  This sent the entire company in peals of laughter.  Philip got a hold of himself, "Okay, okay, go on."

"I started thinking and (this is where it gets funny, just work with me here) I knew for a fact she can never resist a game and pulled the 'Piggy' card on her."  The others did their best to hold in their laughs guessing correctly what was coming next, "So, I winked at my mom and played the entire scene."  Here, he began demonstrating, "'Caroline, what sound do piggies make?' So, of course, she snorted.  So I was like, 'Exactly, now show me how the piggies eat,' so I pushed her plate a little closer to her, 'this is your trough, now how do the piggies eat?' She gave me that smile, that one where I know I have her attention and she's getting excited, 'Be a good girl, show me how the piggies eat.'  It worked like a charm, she nose-dived right into her dinner and actually ate it.  My dad couldn't have looked more disgusted, but I was practically laughing my head off.  My mom looked about half disgusted, half amused.  But, as I told my dad afterwards, 'If you gotta get a toddler to eat their dinner, might as well get a good laugh out of it.'"  The others immediately burst into peals of laughter.  

Thomas felt so good, it was actually nice to know that he was still liked.  Jim put a hand on his shoulder, "You feelin' better, bud?"  Thomas smiled, "Yea, way better."  Phoebus smiled at Jim, "Just like I've always said, the healing process of Freshman Anxiety just needs good times.  Pinocchio looked at his watch, "Guys, why don't we go ahead and hit the hay.  It's getting late, we got another long day tomorrow."  Taran grinned, "One more long day till the long weekend!"  Thomas smiled, he would finally get to see his family again.  Thomas yawned as John came over, ruffled his hair, and grinned, "Ya tired, kiddo?"  Thomas nodded, his eyes half open.  John grinned at Phoebus and pulled Thomas up, "Alright Sleepyhead, ups y daisy.  Let's getcha to bed."