coffee - a prologue

☆。*。☆。
★。\|/。★
STARRING:
★。/|\。★
☆。*。☆。

☆。*。☆。★。\|/。★STARRING:★。/|\。★☆。*。☆。

[Finn Wolfhard as Mike Wheeler]

[Millie Bobby Brown as El Hopper]

╳°»。 ∾・⁙・ ღ ➵ ⁘ ➵ ღ ・⁙・∾ 。«°╳

El was sitting in her favorite coffee shop, staring at her booked calendars on her laptop. She sighed and put her head in her hands. She was overwhelmed with all her auditions. Her lease was almost up and after being fired from the bar and she wasn't sure if it was worth it anymore.

She had always dreamed of being a movie star, and her father had worked so hard to get her to LA. She imagined having to drive back to Hawkins; coming home to her father empty-handed. Her chest felt heavy and her eyes filled up with tears.

DING.

A calendar reminder dinged from her phone.

11:30 -
AUDITION AT CASTLE PARK STUDIOS!!

"Shit."

El quickly sprung from her seat and put her laptop in her backpack. She grabbed the coffee from the table and stared at her phone as she ran to the door.

She felt something hit her as her hot coffee hit her chest.

"Oh my god I'm am so sorry I didn't even s-"

El locked eyes with the boy she had run into. She stepped back and gulped.

"Mike?" Her voice cracked.

The curly-haired boy was still trying to come to his senses at the sight of her. Memories flooded back to him like a wave.

The little El he remembered was not who was staring back at him. Her hair was dyed blonde in a bun and she had bangs that hung right above her eyes. She was wearing a fluffy white blouse under a beige cardigan that accentuated her hazel brown eyes.

"I-I didn't know you were here. If I'd have known I-" Mike tried to find the words.
"Do you want some coffee?" El said timidly.
"I should really be going actually."
"Please stay. I-I know you don't want to talk to me. But I haven't seen you in forever and..."
Her voice trailed off as she saw the tears in his eyes.
"Okay. Um. Sure. I'll order some coffee I guess."

The last thing Mike wanted to do was talk to her. But he knew her. He knew she wouldn't let him go. So he realized he needed to be mature about it.

The two sat down after Mike ordered a coffee.
Mike looked down and fidgeted with his fingers.

"So, um, how have you been?" El said softly.

Mike hesitated.

"Good. Really good actually."

El sighed at him. She knew that he was lying. She knew that tone of voice all too well.

"That's good. Um, what are you doing in LA?"
"I got engaged."
"Wow! That's-that's amazing. I'm happy for you. What's she like?"
"Well, she's um. A nurse. I met her at college..."
"Oh."
"I-I don't really want to talk about her."

Mike checked his watch as the silence drew out between them.

"You know I think I should probably go."
"No. You don't have to go."
"No I really I think I should. I have some errands I need to run some errands."
"Mike I know you're still upset with me. I'm sorry for how things went."

Mike sighed.

"Yeah. Me too."

Before El could grab him, Mike was already out of his seat.

El could feel the tears crawl back to her eyes as she sunk into her seat.

Mike got into his car. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry Mike. He tried to put his key in the ignition but his hand was shaking too much. Seeing her again was like striking an open wound.

He put his head on the wheel.

"Come one Mike. You're better than this." He whimpered as he wiped the tears from his face.

Gaining his composure again, he turned the key and drove away.

╳°»。 ∾・⁙・ ღ ➵ ⁘ ➵ ღ ・⁙・∾ 。«°╳