Chapter 4: The Unsub

I was frozen, so was Reid. I stepped out of the car in a blur and half ran through the old fashioned, rusted doors into the station. I mentally splashed cold water on my face and started to calm down, my heart still racing. I spotted the rest of the team in the room we were given staring at the white board, discussing possibilities. I caught Aaron's eye and in the split second he saw me, he knew something was wrong. Reid followed me through the doors momentarily but once he was inside I grabbed his arm, spun him around and walked back out, letting Aaron focus on the case.
-
I dragged Reid around the side of the police station by his arm, trying not let my frustration out on him and squeeze it too tight. I opened my mouth to speak but was interrupted.
"What's going on?" A confused Hotch asked. Damn it! Why couldn't he just stay inside. When Reid saw Hotch his face went red, so did mine. Within seconds Hotch knew why, he paused before clearing his throat.
"Reid, do you want to go and help the rest of the team inside," he stated as an order rather than a question.
"Uh yes sir" he replied quickly before staggering back into the building. Aaron let out a quiet sigh and wiped his hands over his face.
"Reid won't say anything," he reassured me taking a step closer.
"I know that, it's just do you find 'this' weird?"
"Us?"
"Yeah"
"No, not at all," he said shaking his head, then he took another step toward me so we were chest to chest. He hung his arms on my waist loosely and kissed me.
"It might be awkward when they first find out but they'll get used to it, and so will we." It felt so good to hear him say that, I let out deep breath and let my body relax. He gave me a fleeting smile and turned towards the door.
"Let's go," I said smiling, and caught up to walk beside him. We reached the doors and he pulled one open for me to walk through. We were almost in the room with the team when they all disbursed suddenly,
"Hotch we got him," Morgan called rushing past us. Hotch looked at me then we both followed them back outside. We ran out to the SUV's and jumped in jerking away onto the road. Due to the drastic speed our two drivers, Morgan and Hotch, we were at the unsub's house within 10 minutes. I climbed out of the car as quickly as I could, lifting my gun to hold it out in front of me. Hotch ordered me to go with Morgan and Rossi to cover the back door, I never got used to how sexy he gets when he gives orders. I complied to his orders as usual and jogged behind Morgan around the weathered house, Rossi trotting behind me. I heard the front door being kicked in and it made me speed up a little. Morgan was already at the back door when I finally reached it, I jogged up and looked at Morgan, waiting for his signal. He nodded and I swung the door open letting him burst in, followed by Rossi then me. My blood was rapidly pumping through my veins and my adrenaline was racing through my body. I heard a symphony of 'clear's coming from all over the house. I let my arms relax and I lowered my gun, Hotch, Prentiss and Reid gathered in the room we were in.
"Looks like he's not here," Morgan casually mentioned. Once we had all holstered our weapons the slim, dirty man jumped out of the closet, squeezed his left arm around my neck and used his right arm to hold the gun against my head. Within a split second the whole team had their guns trained on the man, Hotch's eyes fiery with anger.
"Put it down!" Hotch exclaimed, gripping the handle of his gun so hard that his knuckles turned pale white. The slimy unsub spoke out in a mocking tone,
"Everyone leave or this bitch takes one in between the eyes!" He yelled tightening his grip around my neck. It was getting hard to breathe and I could feel sweat dripping down my face. Hotch's face was now filled with rage but he contained himself as usual.
"I'm not leaving," he calmly replied maintaining the target of his shot. The man pushed the gun into my skull making me cringe, I looked up to meet Hotch's hate-filled eyes and mouthed 'shoot him'. I felt the pressure on my skull lessen until it wasn't causing any pain at all. I maintained my eye contact with Hotch as he stood there completely still. He looked past me, past the unsub, it looked like he was looking at someone behind us and he started making non verbal cues to whoever was there. I felt the man turn and lower his gun to my abdomen, not loosening the hold he had on my neck. That's when I heard a gunshot followed shortly by another, there was suddenly a severe pain in my side, so severe that my knees caved in and I collapsed to the floor. Hotch came running towards me followed by the rest of the team, I turned to see the unsub lying on the ground with a bullet hole through his forehead. I pushed my hand to the source of pain, it was warm and... wet, I was bleeding? Hotch crouched onto his knees leaning over me.
"Stay with me JJ, Morgan I need a medic in here!" The team swarmed around me as I felt the pool of my own blood grow underneath me.
"Hotch" I breathed.
"I'm here JJ, I'm right here," he cooed "Where's my medic?!" His scream filling the house.
"They're almost here JJ, stay with me, please, I can't lose you," I looked around to all of my teammates, my family. I tried to speak,
"Hotch, I l- I lo-" a single tear fell from his eye splattering onto my cheek.
"I know" he said. His face was the last one I saw before everything went black.