Promises, Promise Rings

Charlotte stood in the hallway, not knowing where to go. Usually her mommy woke her up but it was still dark outside and she couldn't tell time. On the other hand, she knew her father would amplify her excitement for her first Christmas.

She chose Changeling's door. She opened it and flew over to his bed, where he was sprawled out on the right side with his upper body on the floor.

She giggled to herself at his open mouthed snoring and laid on his chest. She kicked her feet and patted his shoulders. "Daddy, wake up!"

Changeling snored on.

"Daddy, wake up! It's Christmas!"

Changeling smacked his lips and continued snoring.

Charlotte closed his nose.

He twitched and squirmed before waking up. "Charlie? What are you doing?"

She giggled at his sleep ridden confused tone. "Guess what?"

"Huh?"

"It's Christmas!"

His drooping eyelids flew open. "It's Christmas!" He tried to sit up but he ended up sliding all the way to the ground. "Ow!"

Charlotte laid her head on his chest. "Whee!"

Changeling sat up. "I shoulda saw that coming. When'd you wake up?"

Charlotte shrugged. "Can we open presents now?"

"Oh yeah! Let's go wake up Mommy!" He climbed to his feet and held her close.

"Yay!" She clutched his shirt and kicked her feet.

He strode to the door and went across the hall to Raven's room. He opened the door and went to her bed. He set Charlotte down and climbed into the bed and stretched out next to Raven's sleeping form.

Charlotte touched Raven's shoulder and peered into her face. "Mommy? It's time to open presents."

Changeling leaned over and kissed her cheek. "Wake up, Rae."

Raven's eyelids fluttered. She breathed deeply and drew back. "Charlotte?"

"It's Christmas, Mommy!" Charlotte still had her face in her mother's.

Raven pushed her away gently and turned her head. "Ah!"

Changeling grinned. He knew he was unnaturally close. "Hi."

Raven twitched a little before retaining her calm. "Why are you in my room?"

"It's time to wake up, Rae."

She took calming breaths. "That doesn't explain why you're in my room, in my bed."

"I've stayed a few nights in your room." He was being deliberately obtuse.

She narrowed her eyes. "Get out."

"No. Come on!" He popped up and grabbed her hand, lifting her up. "It's Christmas and officially time to open presents!"

"Yay!" Charlotte yelled.

Raven sighed. "Fine. Let me at least get dressed."

"No time!" Changeling pulled her across the bed.

"Changeling!"

"Who?" He grinned.

"You're so annoying." She snatched her hand away from him and stood up on her own.

He kissed her cheek. "Love you, too Rae."

"Love you, Mommy." Charlotte walked across the bed to them.