Chapter 23

Alfild had washed the blood and warpaint from her skin

Alfild had washed the blood and warpaint from her skin. The black and red mixed in the water, spiraling round eachother. She couldn't help but watch the beauty of it. It was like two souls, intertwined and destined to be so.

One was red; firey and impulsive. It did not think things through before it reacted, it just did. It loved and cared but hated just as strongly. It was like the fire.

The other was black; empty and cold. It always thought, even in spurts of rage. It's anger was like darkness, just eating away at every little thing. It ruled over the land with an icy grip and firey domain. It sought vengeance like the Red but it did not feel that way anymore. The passion was dying. The love and care was gone. All that was left was a longing. A longing to be like the Red once more.

Her thoughts were cut short by the sound of Ubbe behind her. Slowly, she turned and looked towards the young man. Her emeralds were narrow and accusing as they stared at him.

"Alfild." He greeted.

"Ubbe." She replied.

"Have you seen my brother?" He asked, shifting uncomfortably as the girl stared at him. Usually, she wasn't this bad, though the girl always had a tendency to watch instead of speaking.

"Which one?" Was all she answered with.

"Ivar."

"Why would I have seen Ivar?" She asked, her green narrowing further with suspicion.

"I just thought that I'd ask." The man shrugged before silently saying his goodbyes.

After the girl was sure that Ubbe had gone, she spoke up again, "I do not appreciate having to lie for you Ivar."

The Prince crawled into sight, eyes instantly meeting that of the young queen. A small devious smile spread over his lips as he looked at her. "Do you not trust me?"

The girl bit her lower lip, trying to stop all the thoughts that came to mind from flooding out. Even so, words still slipped past her guarded lips. Words she just couldn't stop. "I do trust you." She said. "That's the problem."

Ivar didn't have to speak, his brows furrowed in confusion and a familiar expression spread across his features, urging her to continue her words. She didn't want to continue. These were things she'd never said to anyone. And yet, beside him, she just couldn't stop herself.

"Everyone I trust dies or betrays me, and I can't help but feel like a traitor myself for trusting the one person in this army that I was supposed to hate." She answered solemnly.

For a moment, Ivar wished he hadn't sent Ubbe away. After all, he was always far better at dealing with people's emotions. Unsure what to do, he hesitantly gave the same reaction that he recalled the young girl doing when she tried to comfort him. Slowly, the Prince moved his hand to hers. "I won't betray you." Was all that he said, taking her hand in his.

Slowly, she looked up at the boy. Her heart raced in a way that felt unfamiliar to her now and her expression grew grave. She realised now what was happening, and she prayed that she could just switch off her emotions. She hadn't felt this way about someone since Sigrid. Alfild was scared.

Who wouldn't be when they realised that they were in love?