15. Mnemophobia

"Goodbye everybody, I've got to go. Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.

Mama, ooh I don't wanna die.
I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all." Queen

The word ‘mistake’ was defined as an act or judgement that is misguided or wrong

As Anna listened to her benefactor drone on about how sending the letter had been a ‘mistake’, she had to fight the urge to argue.

She did not make mistakes. Ever.

Every move she made was thought out, calculated and planned. She had sent the letter for a very specific reason. It was not ‘misguided’ or ‘wrong’. It was a smart decision she made after careful thought.

He, however, disagreed and harped on about the fact that two detectives were looking for her. He had wondered how they had found out about her so quickly. When she revealed the fact that she had sent a letter to Michael Ray Stevens, her benefactor had gone through the roof, swearing and cursing.

She did not appreciate his use of profanities.

Instead of rising to his level of anger, she answered him calmly and rationally. One of them had to remain sane, she had known from the start it would have to be her.

“What the hell were you thinking? They're going to find us now!" She could hear the scowl in his voice through the phone.

“No they won’t. How would they?”

“How could you be so stupid?" At these words, from him of all people, she felt her calmness slowly slipping into anger. She had never been called stupid before. She was the furthest thing from it.

“Sending the letter was not stupid. In fact, it was a carefully concocted plan. I wouldn’t expect you to grasp how important those words were.”

“Anna, you are becoming reckless.”

And you are becoming a liability.

“Think what you will. We both know the truth.” She answered, instead of goading him further.

The line went silent as he contemplated how to respond to her. “The truth is, this was a bad idea. I should never have agreed to it.”

“It’s too late now. You’re in this as much as I am. I wouldn’t let it worry you though. This is a good thing. Can’t you see that we’re going to change the world?”

She hated sharing the glory but unfortunately right now she needed to appease him. Once this was over, she would toss him to the side like a sack of potatoes and claim all the credit for herself.

“I hope you’re right. Just because we share blood, doesn’t mean we are family. I won’t hesitate to throw you under the bus if shit goes south. My loyalty only stretches so far.”