6. Scelerophobia

♡Chapter dedicated to RebeccaSmith260

"Well I never pray, but tonight I'm on my knees. I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me." The Verve

Regret left a bitter taste in your mouth

This was something Michael Ray Stevens realized as he stared at the letter in front of him, the words, etched in Anna Baker's messy scrawl seemed to slither across the page like a venomous snake.

But this was no snake, this poison could not be so easily cured with something as simple as an antidote.

If you had just granted me the money for test subjects all of this could have been avoided.

Bile clung to his throat from emptying his breakfast into his wastepaper basket, the putrid stench of stale vomit filled the office. Salty tears leaked from his eyes, and yet he could not tear them away from the letter.

I may have thrown the grenade; but you were the one who pulled the pin.

He tried to rack his brain, to remember the meeting he had with her, but it had been over a year ago, and his memory was not what it used to be. A blurry image of the dark-haired beauty entered his mind, she had cried when he had refused her, begged him to reconsider. The words 'you will regret this', played repeatedly through his head on a loop. She was right.

He did regret it.

He should have been softer, approached the situation more delicately, taken the time to discuss things properly with her instead of simply dismissing her idea as crazy.

I will be locked up for my 'crimes'.

What had she done? Or what was she going to do? There was no date on the letter, no indication as to when she had written these words that had caused him to be sick.

The serum, the one she had created, the one that made you hallucinate your darkest fears, had she administered it to someone already?

Has anyone actually died from being so terrified they felt as if their lungs would burst and their heads would explode?

It was going to kill someone. She was going to kill someone. And it would be his fault. The weight of their death would be on his shoulders.

He felt the bile rising up again, barely managing to grab the wastepaper basket before it came pouring out of his mouth, retching repeatedly until there was nothing left except for the aching guilt in the pit of his stomach.

A thin layer of sweat covered his brow, whether it was from the vomiting or the fear that was currently taking over his body, he couldn't tell.

Fear is the sweat that drips down your forehead.