25. Eleutherophobia

"Devils hide behind redemption

Honesty is a one-way gate to hell." Sub-Urban

Jon reached the door to the farm house, already breathless from exertion and expectation

They're here. They were right below us the whole time.

He picked up the edges of the threadbare carpet he had walked across not so long ago, and threw them, folding it in half. He dropped to his knees on the rough wood and felt along the floor, looking for a crease, a handle, anything.

Coming up empty, he continued to push the carpet further along the hall, searching desperately for some sort of trap door. He was just about to give up hope when thankfully, mercifully, his fingers grazed cold metal. He moved the carpet completely, his heart soaring with relief when he saw a brass handle fitted to the floor.

He slipped his finger through the ring and yanked hard, the wood groaning as it gave way and moved upwards. "Thank fuck."

Peering down into darkness, Jon could just make out a set of stairs. He knew they led to the kids, but there was always the possibility that they also led to a trap. Anna's benefactor, who Jon had momentarily forgotten, could be down there with a gun, and Jon had left his back in the shed with Isaiah.

Not wanting to waste the time going to get it when every second was crucial, Jon pulled out his phone and turned on the flashlight, using it to light his way down the stairs. He proceeded slowly, his heart hammering, his feet desperate to move faster and get to the kids. But he knew rushing in could be a mistake. If the benefactor was down there and armed, Jon's only chance of survival and helping those kids was the element of surprise.

The old wooden stairs creaked with every step, and Jon cursed under his breath, sure that if someone was down there, they already knew Jon was on his way. But when he reached the bottom and looked around, he was alone in a cold dark basement. The only thing in sight was a heavy metal door.

Jon knew in his heart that the kids were behind that door. That one push of a button on the remote in his hand would mean saving their lives.

But the sight of the dead boy plagued him. He had been too late for one of them, what if he was too late for all of them? Could he handle the failure? Opening that door would release the kids, but it would also force him to confront the fact that he couldn't save all of them.

The more time you waste, the worse it could be.

Jon cursed, again, angry at himself for the moment of weakness. Every second of this case had been a race to find these kids. And now that he was sure he had, he paused at the threshold, like a scared child.

He swallowed his fear and pressed the button on the remote, the metal door in front of him swung open slowly, revealing a room that nightmares are made of.