Chapter 10

"Who's this?" Esmeralda asked, looking at the older, somewhat stern faced, boy. 

"He's my old attendant. He's been in the capital the whole time but Master Regis sent him back when I told him we were moving to the capital," Master Emeric said.

 "Mostly because milord Regis thought Master Emeric would not be able to pack own his own," the attendant said. 

Master Emeric scowled, "Just get packing, Sam," he said, shooing him out. Sam left sedately, taking Clara with him to show her what to do since he was a senior servant. Once he was gone, Master Emeric pulled Esmeralda to him and kissed her thoroughly. 

"How was the trip?" he asked when he released her. 

She shrugged, "It was alright. When will we be ready to leave for the capital?" 

"Another couple of days," Master Emeric said, looking around the empty study. All his books were in crates and such to be moved. "Ever since Sam arrived, he's taken over the packing so I can rest easy." 

"Good- I was worried that I should have at least made a list for you to make sure you get everything," Esmeralda admitted and Master Emeric scowled at her as well. She smiled back innocently. She leaned against her old desk, "I'll miss this place, though," she admitted. 

"I will too," he said, looking around, "But I guess it's time to move on anyway. Besides," he looked at her, "This seems to be a good enough reason to move." 

He placed his hands on the desk on either side of her to kiss her again. 

After awhile, there was a cough, "As much as I hate to interrupt you, sir, mistress- but, Master Emeric- how should I move the plants in the experiment room?" Sam said, still with the same straight face. 

Esmeralda turned red as Master Emeric broke the kiss, "I'm coming, I'm coming," he said, sounding a bit annoyed and went to show how the plants needed to be packed so they would not die in the journey. Esmeralda wasn't quite sure what to do for a moment and went to check on her room to see if they had left anything behind, thinking. 

Sam seemed to be the perfect servant type. Whatever he thought laid behind his unfathomable face. She was shaking her head over it before remembering that she was like that around plenty of people as well, even making Caleb uncomfortable up to that day. 

Clara was in her bedroom, checking if she got everything. 

"Mistress Essy- um- this…" she held up the charm that Malinda had given her. 

Esmeralda turned red and snatched it back, "Thank you," she said, shoving it in her pocket quickly. "Is that everything? My notes? My books? My clothes?" 

"Yes, mistress. I believe so." 

Esmeralda made a check of the room and went to the study once more to check her desk and Master Emeric's. Everything was taken and packed. So she went to the experiment room to look for Master Emeric who was fussing over his plants and the way Sam was trying to pack them. 

She leaned against the doorframe and saw a flicker of irritation pass Sam's face. "I know, right?" Esmeralda said. 

"He put you through this too?" Sam asked. 

"Unfortunately, yes." 

After awhile, Esmeralda decided that Master Emeric wasn't going to be done anytime soon, "Emeric," she said, tapping his shoulder, "I'm going down to the city. I need to ask Uncle Charles to fix something for me. I'll borrow Honeycomb." 

"Yes, yes," Master Emeric said in his usual busy manner. 

"I'll be back for supper," she told him and left.