Chapter 3

"Ah, Essy! You're back!" Master Emeric said, striding into the study to find her keeping something away in her desk. 

"I'm back, sir. I wanted to report myself to you, but they said you were attending some lecture," Esmeralda said apologetically. Master Emeric smiled at her but his smile slipped for a moment when he saw her pale, drawn face, "Good gods, Essy. What happened? I sent you home for rest, but you look worse off than before." 

Esmeralda wilted, looking so downcast, Master Emeric strode towards her quickly and pulled her into a crushing hug, enfolding her in his warmth. 

It was too much and Esmeralda started crying, clutching onto him, "I don't know what happened. My head is empty! I can't think anymore! It's like I turned into an idiot!" she was crying. 

Master Emeric held onto her, "Shh… don't cry- look-" he said, letting her go and going to her desk to retrieve some papers. He scribbled some numbers and symbols and a question on it and handed it to her, "Here, this is a simple mathematical question. Answer it. This is something as a novice you should already know." 

Esmeralda looked at the numbers. She saw the numbers draw themselves out and the symbols, pulling together and coming to her mind, dancing about in her eyes. She took her quill and began to answer it. Master Emeric stood there, watching her closely. Her eyes moved rapidly over each number and letter as she wrote, sharper than ever. When she finished it, she handed it to him to look at. 

He took it and looked at her method with a frown and then the answer. Esmeralda got to her feet, looking at him nervously. 

Finally, he put the paper down and smiled at her, if anything he looked ecstatic. 

"Esmeralda," he said. Was she in trouble? Then he repeated himself, "Essy, this is a question like those they would ask in the Mastership Exam. The kind that many have trouble with. Not only did you answer it with the formula you said you didn't quite understand the other night, but you managed to modify it to the question in a way that I didn't even teach you which means that you have fully understood the formula. My dear child, you did not become an idiot. If anything, whatever was blocking your mind previously has certainly vanished." 

She stared at him, not daring to believe him. 

"So… this quiet in my head…" 

"Oh? Your mind is quiet now when you're working?" 

"Yes- normally there are hundreds of things just going through it-" 

"Good- it means you can focus better than ever now without any distracting thoughts." 

Esmeralda collapsed onto her chair, the heaviness on her shoulders simply disappearing. Master Emeric went on, saying thoughtfully, "So which would probably mean those chronic headaches you keep complaining about should vanish as well. You never did know how to discipline your thoughts and mind-" 

Whatever else he had to say, Esmeralda didn't know. She jumped at him, hugging him tightly and crying with relief. 

Master Emeric staggered back a little. He looked taken aback for a moment but caught the whiff of her perfume. Not even realising it, he wrapped his arms around her small frame and hugged her as well. 

Finally, she pulled away, looking breathlessly happy. Master Emeric looked into her eyes, he couldn't bring himself to look away.

She didn't seem to notice because she stepped away, "I need to unpack," she told him and went to her room, humming a song to herself. When she left the room, he finally managed to breathe. He trailed after her, thinking perhaps he could assist or something but she was much more efficient without him. So he just stood at the doorframe.